I've hit a wall at 6 months out

jamiemarlowe
on 8/25/14 2:59 pm

I've been tracking protein and carbs (plus calories). For the most part I am on track but I think I have hit a wall in weight loss. I keep yo-yoing between the same 4 lbs. I exercise regularly - at least 30 minutes a day. Any recommendations? What did the old timers do to get ride of your last bit of weight?

White Dove
on 8/25/14 10:30 pm - Warren, OH

It if is not working, then do something different.  Some people are successful with raising their calories to break a stall.  Others drop calories.  There is a site that I find extremely helpful.  If It Fits Your Macros

I determine my protein, water, calories, fat and carbs there and then put the goals into My Fitness Pal.  I also weigh myself every morning and take action when I see any gain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

gmantek
on 8/25/14 10:51 pm

I am at 5 months out and although I haven't had a stall, I have certainly notice the loss slow down a bit. Is it possible to add another 30 minutes cardio to your exercise routine? My class of choice is spin class for 1 hour. It will burn about 600 calories and this always speeds things up for me. Everyone is so different but you could give it a try for a week:)

jamiemarlowe
on 8/25/14 11:09 pm

Thanks, I think I will give that a shot when school is back in session. 

Tracy D.
on 8/26/14 2:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What I will tell you is that you need to exercise for fitness not weight loss.  Don't count on upping your exercise routine to break a stall or increase your loss.  It won't.  What it will do is make your muscles sore and cause you to retain a lot of water.  The scale still won't move and then you'll give up on the extra exercise, which would be a shame because it is better for your health.  

You say you are on track "for the most part".  Where are you off track?  80 oz. protein, 40 grams carbs or less, 100 oz. of water a day and keeping the calories around 800-900 and tracking all of this?   The only thing I would suggest is maybe adding in some healthy fats a couple times a week (avocado, nuts, olive oil).   It will raise your calories higher for the day but I always found that to be helpful in nudging me down the scale when I felt "stuck".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active