6mo-1yr out vets...Hunger?

Lemily
on 9/10/14 2:48 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Hey there party peeps,

SO in the past 2-4 days, I have been hungry...really really hungry. My usual protein shake in the morning and greek yogurt mid-morning is not holding me until lunch. It's crazy and happened all of a sudden. I got an early lunch today 3.4 oz grilled chicken that was over greens with blueberries and strawberries and feta...i ate all the chicken 2/3 greens and berries and cheese.

Anyone else in this time frame experience an uptake in hunger and food capacity? Funny thing is I always eat chicken b/c it totally fills me up and holds me.

Maybe I need to add better protein to my stomach first thing in the morning rather than a shake with water and yogurt? Any suggestions are definitely welcomed!

Amber G.
on 9/10/14 3:04 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi Lemily! I just posted about something similar a couple days ago. I am 5 months right now, and all of a sudden can eat more, and the hunger has crept up like a beast! I did stop taking my PPI about a month ago, and wondering if that has something to do with the hunger part. Started taking them again, and will see if it helps. A lot of people have said at the 5-6 month mark, their capacity changed, so I think that is normal. I am going to really try and eat dense proteins moving forward too! Hopefully it helps us both :) 

Lemily
on 9/10/14 3:12 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I remember reading your post and it was like bam..its happening to me too LOL. It took me by surprise. Last night I ate 1 meatball and was done. And it wasnt that big. I think I have to change up my dense proteins a little bit so my tummy doesnt get used to one thing - that may sound dumb but i dont know what else to do LOL. What I really have to watch though is that when i am hungry, to make sure i eat and snack on the right foods, not the wrong ones. ANd that has been an issue to over the past week or so, unfortunately.

emelar
on 9/10/14 3:11 am - TX

Your capacity does change over time, and it's a total freak-out when it does.

Yes, change your morning breakfast to something denser.  It'll hold you over until lunch much better.  Don't be afraid to have chicken for breakfast if that's what works for you.  Too many people get stuck in thinking they need "breakfast" foods for breakfast. 

And it's ok to eat more.  This is your chance to get in the nutrients that have probably been lacking in your diet - like veggies! 

civilmomma
on 9/10/14 3:29 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I do better with a more dense breakfast.  It doesn't always happen, but the mornings I eat leftover meat from dinner are much better as far as lunch hunger than the days I eat a slider protein like yogurt or cottage cheese.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Valerie G.
on 9/10/14 6:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would suggest adding something solid with that mid-morning protein shake, like a protein bar, cheese,  or something.  Liquids go in and out quickly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/10/14 7:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have good luck with something more solid in the morning; I usually do a protein bar or a scrambled egg.

9 months out and I rarely have shakes, though I'll often have a small glass of milk before I leave for work since I'm not hungry until I get to the office.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mickeymantle
on 9/10/14 4:23 pm, edited 9/10/14 4:25 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to eat a solid high protein food , not a shake for breakfast , I like an omelet , with meat or smoked salmon, or cheese , 20 -27 gm protein 

for lunch I eat pashuto (ham ) with mozzarella cheese , sold at Costco 17 gm protein for 4 slices

diner chicken mozzarella burger also from Cost****ouple minutes in the microwave and its ready) and a small salad for fiber

shake in the everning or greek yogurt if I need more protein

I eat 500-800 cal/daY 80 GM PROTEIN, ~30 GM CARBS

THE ONLY TIME IM A LITTLE HUNGRY IS AT MEAL TIME AND A FEW BITES FIX THAT , SOLID FOOD KEEPS YOU FULL READ ABOUT THE VALVE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOU STOMACH AND HOW SOLIS FOOD KEEPS IT CLOSED it is written by Frisco

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Lemily
on 9/10/14 10:07 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

Thanks for everyone's input and the guidance to Frisco's post. i have consulted that many times. I leave for work at 6:30 and dont get home until almots 6. So, I use clear protein in my coffee on my way to work and then usually have a greek yogurt mid morning. FOr the past 5 months or so I was fine. Just recently, I started getting super hungry mid morning and didnt know if others experienced the same thing. I HATE breakfast food, which is why i was interested in seeing what others do in the morning.

Im usually just like you - 600-800cal per day, 85-100g protein, 100oz water, carbs under 35g daily. Im not worried about losing slower right now, just how to keep my hunger abate for the midmorning so I dont start scavaging for snacks.

I appreciate everyone's guidance!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views