Feel like a liar

Amy M.
on 10/2/14 6:54 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

So after 66 lbs down people are starting to notice that I'm losing weight.  I've only told a handful of people at work that I trust because my work is full of a lot of 18-25 year olds that treat it like high school.  I kept the surgery to myself so that I wouldn't be judged or have to deal with people staring at me or whispering behind my back.  

I've been getting a lot of compliments lately, especially in the last couple days.  One woman asked me what I'm doing to lose the weight and I basically told her that I'm just eating lots of protein, low carb, and exercising a lot.  Then this caught the attention of others around me and I felt like a fraud for not telling them that I had WLS. Today at lunch another co-worker complimented me and asked how I'm losing the weight.  I told him the same thing.  I feel like a liar for not telling them that I've had surgery.  People are astounded when I tell them how much weight I've lost and asked me where to get protein supplements and how many carbs to eat, etc.  It feels good to receive compliments and to know that I'm inspiring people around me but I wonder what they will say in 6 months when I'm like close to goal and they all think "How in the world did she lose over 100lbs in less than a year?"

Did anyone else feel this way?  Did anyone else choose to keep their WLS a complete secret?

civilmomma
on 10/2/14 7:03 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I've regretted telling people, so looking back, I think feeling like a liar rather than them telling me "I cheated" would be better.

you changed your diet and added exercise - that's all they need to know.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

KattattaK
on 10/2/14 9:28 am

I'm with civilmomma on this one. 

Luvmygs
on 10/2/14 7:43 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Amy, I don't consider you lying. Really you are losing weight by eating healthier and watching carbs and sugar intake. You say what feels right for you. No matter what you do or say, you'll always have someone saying something negative. Its just the way people are. I gave a compliment to a co-worker and she told me that she had WLS. That's how I found out about it, so for me it was a good thing.

ch7707
on 10/2/14 7:45 am

I have not told anyone outside of my immediate family that I had the surgery.  Granted I'm only 2 weeks out and have only dropped 15 pounds but eventually it will be noticeable to others.  I plan to tell anyone who asks how I've lost weight is that I cut my calories and started exercising..... Both of which are true.  Omitting the fact that you had WLS does not make you a liar.  NO ONE is entitled to know your medical history, period.

ch7707
on 10/2/14 7:49 am

Also, it's none of anyone's business how much weight you've lost.  Would you go up and ask someone how much they've gained?  Of course not.  

NurseJackie
on 10/2/14 7:46 am
VSG on 07/10/14

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT.  Down 50 lbs and people are finally starting to notice.  I said the same thing....high protein diet, low carb and sugar with exercising.  Think about it thought...that is the truth, but I am tired of explaining.  I didn't tell anyone at work though.  It is none of their business.  Good luck.

VSG on July 10th, 2014

anewlife4me8610
on 10/2/14 7:46 am - Lake Oswego, OR

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...you should not feel any remorse for what you did...WLS is not the easy way out, and it is not at all by any means easy or cheating...I do not think it is right of you to lie about it, but that is just my opinion...Telling people that you are eating high protein and stuff, actually sets up unrealistic expectations and is one of the reasons I think the diet industry suckers so many people...you made the decision to do this surgery and you should not be ashamed of it...and hiding what you did only means that inside, you feel like a cheater, or you feel like you took the easy way out...and that is just not true. This is a major life style change that is not something you did without medical support and lots of determination. 

but you saying you did this on your own with diet and exercise, is lying and it is being deceitful and it does set an unrealistic goal for some people and that can cause them much heartache and damage. I used to watch Biggest Loser and I wanted to keep up with them...and its just not realistic ...our weightloss is NOT realistic...its not typical ...we had our stomachs altered! 

Be proud of your decision you made it and now look at you....

ch7707
on 10/2/14 7:55 am

With all due respect, being vague is not the same as lying.  If someone were to directly ask her "did you have WLS?" and she said "no" THAT would be a lie.  She has the right to set boundaries by limiting what information she shares with people.

pugmadkate
on 10/2/14 7:58 am

In my own opinion, I think it's cruel to not be truthful.  How many of us tried endless diets and exercise only to be met with failure time and again?  Yet one more person claiming it's so simple, when that's not the truth for them, is harmful.  That's why I am honest about it.  I just don't want to hurt anyone anymore than they've already been hurt.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views