The Naked Truth, Why I'm Having WLS (Long)

Sammy D.
on 10/7/14 12:15 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

After my post yesterday about debating on food funerals before I begin my 4 week Loser's Bench Boot Camp (Optifast Pre Op Diet) I began to think about what I am about to embark upon. Though I have been nothing but excited and anxious since I seen Dr. Heider, and got my loan for surgery. Now reality is beginning to set in. It is not that I am overly nervous or scared at this point, but I know those thoughts and feelings will begin to creep in as November 6th approaches.

I decided to write this post as something I could go back to and read when the nerves and fear begin to set in, or when I'm post op facing some of the common periods of buyer's remorse, stalls, and in case I have a weak moment and get off plan. I also want to share this for others who may be experiencing some of these very things.

So why am I having WLS?

1. God has convicted me several times about destroying the temple, and He has made a way for me to have WLS even when there seemed to be no way. I must obey God's will.

2. This Surgery is NOT ELECTIVE for me. If I do not have this surgery and change my lifestyle, I WILL DIE at a very early age.

3. My Wife NEEDS me. She is blind and she does so much for me, but actually she needs me to do for her. I have been physically unable to take care of her needs and she is suffering as a result.

4. I want to have children, They deserve nothing less than a loving father that is physically able to do what fathers do.

5. My family is really worried about me.

6. My health is failing me very fast, it is only a matter of time before I am in he hospital fighting for my life.

7. I hurt so terribly bad. I am literally in so much pain I can barely stand or walk for periods of 5 minutes or longer. I am tired of suffering.

8. I want to live life again, get out and actually do things. I also want to be able to do work for God's Kingdom.

9. I am more scared of Obesity related complications than I am surgery complications.

10. I want a career change, and without surgery my options may be severely limited.

11. I no longer want to live a life of "what ifs". (If i did this instead of that, I would be this.)

12. If diet and exercise alone worked for me, I would have had a significant weight loss in my early 20's as I was dedicated for 2+ years. I only lost      30lbs.

13. I'm done with excuses, it's either put up or shut up.

14. I'm tired of feeling old and disabled, I am only 34 and still young.

15. I don't want to sit dying of my obesity and regretting that I let this opportunity pass me by.

16. It is time for me to be happy, and experience the true joy of the Lord.

17. I want to experience all the NSVs others have shared.

18. I want to make God, My Wife, My Family, and My Friends proud of me.

I hope and pray when I come back to revisit this post, and I know I will. I want you to remember why you are or have done this. Get motivated and renew your commitment.

I also hope this helps those who need it. I think it's really important to know why we are considering, doing, or have done this. Sometimes we even need a reminder from time to time.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Kelly Jean
on 10/7/14 12:23 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Sammy what a wonderful  post this should keep you chugging forward just look back on everything you feel and wrote!!!  It will be an inspiration to yourself and others!!!! Go get Em Sammy!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Dawn ..
on 10/7/14 12:28 am, edited 10/7/14 1:15 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Sammy, what a wonderful post! Great idea to put your reasons for this journey "on paper" so that you can reflect on it and reaffirm your goals.

I have similar reasons. I looked back at some old photos and that gave me motivation. Also, my family has a history of heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes. I am SHOCKED and blessed that I don't have any of these diseases. The fact that I don't is a blessing and that motivated me to try and get the weight off. Besides that, I get so tired of getting tired at work when walking or lifting/moving things. Tired of breaking out in a sweat with the slightest bit of activity.

Loved your post, very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Luvmygs
on 10/7/14 12:38 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Sammy, I can "yes" to about 99.9% of your naked truth. Thank you for this wonderful post.

nursebonnie
on 10/7/14 2:21 am
VSG on 08/19/14

What a wonderful, heartfelt, well thought our post. I will be praying for your success. With the commitment you have made on paper as a daily reminder to you, you have no where to go but down lol

Amber G.
on 10/7/14 3:18 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Sammy! Great post! A great reminder of where most of us where, or in similar situations prior to surgery! You are going to do so great! Having this surgery WILL allow you to change the things you listed above. You just have to be dedicated and willing. I know you are going to rock it!!

lil1inside
on 10/7/14 3:59 am
VSG on 07/10/13

So happy for you--you will do great I'm sure!  My husband had the RNY and I had the sleeve done.  You don't have enough time for me to tell you the difference in our lives--you will find this out yourself (YEAH!!).  One thing I was remembering however when reading your post was:  I can remember walking in the stores (pre-surgery) and just sweating up a storm (a hot sweaty mess--I'd always scope out benches as I'd have to sit about every 5 - 8 minutes.  This never happens now, not a sweat drop to be found on me and I can literally shop till I drop (meaning hours on end)!!  EMBRACE AND ENJOY YOUR NEW LIFE

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Sammy D.
on 10/7/14 6:12 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I remember having to do that. I think the bench would be an upgrade for me. I don't shop anymore unless it is an in and out affair it's too embarrassing to use a sit and shop. Good to hear you and your Husband doing so well, I can't wait to get there myself.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 90 views