Did anyone else have this issue with Pills?

Kinde
on 10/27/14 1:54 am

I am 6 weeks post op and feeling pretty good! However pills have become my nemesis and I am not sure what to do.  Every time I take a pill it gets stuck, even if I cut it in half or even four pieces.  I do not have this problem with food.  The problem is I cannot take my estrogen replacement, tylenol, or ambien.  I stopped taking the ambien after surgery because it is stuck and I know that is probably a good thing although I do not sleep well.  But the estrogen and the omneprazole are things I need.  I tried breaking the omnepraole up and putting in yogurt but I have a huge gag reflex and cannot take it that way.  When the pill gets stuck I get dry heaves for 30 minutes which terrifies my son and my hubby.  Did anyone else have this and will it go away? Other than than I feel great.  Thanks! 

Luvmygs
on 10/27/14 2:20 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I would talk to your doctors that prescribed your pills. They would be able to help you with other forms of medication or maybe you can ask if certain pills can be crushed. Do you really need to be on estrogen? I don't usually hear good things about it. Good luck and I hope it gets better. 

Kinde
on 10/27/14 2:23 am

Yes unfortunately I do need the estrogen, I had to have a early hysterectomy and the symptoms are horrible if I do not take it.  I see the doc next week I am hoping he has some suggestions.  I love the sleeve I am hoping this is just temporary.  Thanks for the support!

Luvmygs
on 10/27/14 2:36 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Me too, I had a hysterectomy in 2005 and it put me in menopause immediately. I can't take estrogen. My mom died of cancer. I do have to say, it does get easier in time. Good luck.

WLStruggles
on 10/27/14 3:42 am

I'm pre-op, so I'm of no use as far as an answer, but I've wondered about this myself.  I've heard a lot of people say they are taken off most meds for conditions like diabetes, blood pressure, etc, when they leave the hospital…..but I also take Nexuim (it's a capsule, so maybe it can be opened and poured into a drink or yogurt?), vitamin D, iron, and a cholesterol med.  I went off the cholesterol med as a test when I was involved in a structured fitness/health environment for a month.  My cholesterol skyrocketed.  I know many people come off these medications, at least eventually but what happens until then?  If you are on liquids only, how do you get these meds down?  Are their liquid versions?

Valerie G.
on 10/27/14 6:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you able to eat and drink okay?  If not - then this can be serious. 

If it's just the pills, try this trick:

Fill mouth up with water (first) and tilt your head back.  Drop a pill in and swallow all together.  I never feel the pill go down and I'm up to 6 pills at a time.  This is so easy that I taught my son when he was only 4 and never had to chase him down the hall with syrup on a spoon again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active