Pregnancy After Sleeve

jamiemarlowe
on 11/2/14 7:50 am

Completely unexpectedly we found out last week we are expecting another baby. Yay for having a baby, they are always a blessing but this is something we were not planning, actually actively preventing, for at the very least another 6 months since I am only 8 month post op. I have talk to my OB about my concerns but I'm looking for any recommendations from anyone that might have experienced something similar. I'm really concerned that I did not hit my personal goal and because of my nausea I have had to start eating more carbs than are ideal for sustaining weight loss. My doctor has recommended I try to limit weight gain during this pregnancy but after only a week of my diet change I am up 5 pounds. Obviously the health of the baby is my biggest concern but I'm also concerned about regressing. 

Any recommendations on what to eat or avoid?

I'm honestly not really sure what to ask but any recommendations would be helpful. 

Quanita L.
on 11/2/14 2:22 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi 

I am very excited to read your post.  I am hoping *fingers crossed* to be in your delightful position post op.  My surgeon has discussed with me that if I do get close to my goal 6mos post op we will actively start trying to get pregnant and stabilise my weight loss.

I believe very strongly that you don't need to limit carbs for sustaining weight loss (i have written a blog entry on here in my profile to explain why).  The only thing you need to limit is calories.

Having said that if you have been limiting carbs for a long period of time and have suddenly increased that level - you could potentially be moving your body from ketosis to our 'normal' weight loss mode.  I deliberately put normal in quotation marks there.
some people say that this transition can cause weight gain.

Your body will be undergoing an enormous amount of hormonal changes at the moment, so it could be due to your pregnancy, due to fluid retention and any number of other reasons.  Making sure you have all the nutrients you need for your body covered would be what I would aim for.  Baby's relationship with you is parasitic in nature (bad word but it is essentially true) so they get everything they need from you before the rest of your body does.

Do some research about weight gain during pregnancy in general over the course of the pregnancy and then maybe choose a tolerance level for yourself based on the average pregnancy where weight gain is pregnancy related. If you think you are gaining too much, maybe add in some exercise that is achievable.

Hopefully there are more responders who have been in your situation - My surgeon jokingly said that he should advertise to overweight women who are undergoing ivf, because the out of pocket expenses here for surgery is significantly less than that in ivf and he has had a lot of patients who unexpectedly conceive after failed ivf attempts, but have had significant weight loss due to surgery!

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

civilmomma
on 11/3/14 12:16 am, edited 11/3/14 12:18 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Currently 15w pregnant (got pregnant at 5.5m post op - not intentional).

I upped my calories to about 1500 a day (probably more on some days).  I am also taking Zofran for nausea - which helps me control the yucky feelings without overdoing it on carbs.

I have added in more carbs (hello - saltine crackers), more cheese, and more fruit/veg too.

Have you had your vitamin levels checked?  You should.

Schedule a visit with your NUT for pregnancy specific advice.

See your bariatric team for a check-up - I see a NP at the surgeon's office every few months.

What does your OB say?

My guidelines from the WLS clinic were to up my protein to 75g a day, more water, take the vitamins (ADD extra FOLIC ACID), and limit gain to 15-20 pounds.  Also get vitamin labs done every trimester.

My OB is also a VSG patient herself, so that helps with her understanding what I am capable of with nutrition.

I see my NUT this week for a check-in.

So far I am still losing slowly (about 1 pound a week now) but I know it will stop at some point.  My OB's goal for me is to deliver no higher than I was the day I found out I was pregnant. 

Remember the rules - protein first, then veg, then fruit, then carb is you have room.  No liquids for 30 min before or after a meal.  That alone should help limit your total intake.  Beyond that - do what you have to do to be healthy, keep nausea at bay, and grow that baby!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active