Time Blocking

JoeyJo
on 1/12/15 2:54 am - NJ

In the Nick Hornby book, “About a Boy”, (which was a funny movie and TV show), the character Will is a 38-year-old loafer who arranges his day in 30-minute blocks of time. His usual activities consist of watching TV (mostly game shows), shopping for new toys (CDs, DVDs, etc.), getting his hair professionally disheveled (four blocks of time), and exercising (playing pool).

Although I can never dream of having enough money to be a loafer, I think of this sometimes when I look at the clock to determine what block of time I am in for the day –eating, drinking or exercise. All of my time is blocked for one of them no matter what else is on the schedule for the day. 

Exercise is always blocked with drinking, which means eating is blocked at least 30 minutes before and after.  I woke up late for the gym recently, ate a protein bar on the way and realized I messed up my time blocking and had to wait to drink water while exercising, which rots.  Because I was so thirsty, I took a sip of water and immediately felt that it was too soon.  Next time I oversleep, I will eat afterwards.

ipray
on 1/12/15 6:04 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I can relate!  The sleeve has overtaken my life.  Very hard to have a full time job and be sure that you are eating, drinking, and exercising at the right times and not around the same time.  (Much less have meals prepared and measured!)  Didn't realize it would be so time consuming.  I am only two months out, so hoping it will get easier.  It is a bit overwhelming and you are not alone.

JoeyJo
on 1/13/15 12:03 am - NJ

It definitely gets easier.  I am now a well-oiled machine...maybe a sorta-oiled machine Mondays through Fridays. 

I take my vitamins with water in the morning, have a Quest bar on the way to work, start drinking water after the second toll, make decaf coffee and another big water with True Lemon lemonade powder when I get to work and drink till 11:30. 

Lunch of pre-packed measured leftovers at noon.  12:30 another decaf coffee, water, True Lemon or Propel till 2:30. 

3:00 snack, usually Greek yogurt, 3:30 -- more water, True Lemon or Propel.  Another water for the drive home. 

Tuesdays and Thursdays:  Zumba at 6:30 so instead of drinking during the 45 minute drive from work to the gym near my house, I have a snack, usually a Quest bar then have a late, light dinner.  The other work week nights, I drink during the drive home, make and have dinner, then before bed I have an orange or apple if I hit my protein goal for the day.  If I haven't hit the protein goal, I'll have a protein snack.  Then I take my calcium before bed since I cannot take it in the morning with my iron supplement. 

I have been trying very hard to get 8 hours of sleep every night.  I track my sleep, exercise and all food on my UP24, which I love and highly recommend.  The UP3 is coming out soon and will be even better.

Weekends are less restrictive but only if I go to cardio class Saturday morning and step class Sunday morning.  If I have a craving during the week, I save it for the weekend.  If I still want the craving and go to the gym, then I'll go for it.  This past weekend, I got a small soft serve ice cream cone with sprinkles that I had been wanting.  It was not nearly as good as I remembered or thought it would be.  I have no regrets or guilt and no more cravings for it.  This is the way I plan to live till I get to maintenance.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views