First day post-op

Melanielw
on 1/22/15 12:34 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had my sleeve surgery yesterday and boy do I feel uncomfortable and weird. All I want to do is sleep and I have those funky gas pains in my shoulder. Also, my mouth is so dry even though I am sipping water. I am afraid to drink anything else because even the water makes me stomach feel funky. Any suggestions on how to get through the first week? 

sds0029
on 1/22/15 12:51 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Had my sleeve Monday.  Felt great until meds wore off. Day 2 was pain, gas  and yes a weird feeling in the tummy.  Day 3 just a little better and today 4 is very good.  Still a little gas but over all not bad.  

I just keep keep doing as the veterans have said walk and sip.  I am confident each day will improve.  

Amy M.
on 1/22/15 12:55 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

The first few days definitely suck. The dry mouth, the pain, the gas, it all sucks. I got through it by staying hydrated (right now you can't drink but make sure to sip sip sip when you get home), staying diligent on my meds (pain meds and gas x), walking, and sleeping. 

Don't drink much until the Dr says it's ok. I was given ice chips in the hospital which did not satisfy the dry mouth so I took a gulp of water when they melted and it HURT!

Welcome to the loser's bench!

elatedelaine
on 1/22/15 1:00 am

The dry mouth problem could be from pain meds...they make my mouth dry out bad.  I did good with sucking on ice and chewing ice the first few days.  Move around and walk as much as you can and the gas pains should ease up and make you feel less funky.  Even the Premier Shakes (which I think are THE best) had to be spread out over the entire day...I would get up during the night as well to sip on my shake, just to get the protein in.  It's amazing how soon you will feel better.   Keep water or ice by your bed/chair/whatever....all day long:)  Praying you feel better soon.

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/15 1:58 am

mickeymantle
on 1/22/15 1:54 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

a hot towel is the best thing for the gas pain and walking to move the gas around

try different temperature  liquids , ice pops work great , if your still in the hospital ask for some lip and mouth moisturizer 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Melanielw
on 1/22/15 1:55 am
VSG on 01/21/15

Do you think its okay that all I'm drinking is water? I'm just not ready for protein shakes. Plus all the water does when I drink it is make me burp. :( 

Rachel M.
on 1/22/15 3:38 am
VSG on 12/31/14

Yes. As per my surgeon, it's MUCH MUCH more important to get your fluids in at the beginning. Protein shakes can wait a little. For fluids I had crystal light, SF jello, SF Popsicle, water and some broths. I know protein is important, but you want to avoid dehydration. So first focus on getting your fluids in and the rest will fall into place.

{ HW:275 | CW:166.6 | GW:145 | TL:108.4 }    

VSG on 12/31/2014 with Dr. John Kelly at UMASS Memorial.   

ssulli1077
on 1/22/15 1:57 am

Had my surgery on Monday morning and today I feel much better. I was not ready for the horrible gas pain in my left shoulder but walking helps. As soon as I could begin drinking I alternated between sipping on water and on G2. G2 is easier for me to keep down. Best of luck! 

S. Sullivan

Tracy D.
on 1/22/15 3:07 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't think I can add anything to the great suggestions already posted - but I want to say "Welcome to the Loser's Bench!" 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views