vitamins for life

VSGjohn23
on 3/11/15 9:50 am

VSGrs

OK is anyone NOT taking vitamins and managing without any issues? I'm told multi vitamins for life. I'd understand that if I was getting G Bypass,  but my intestinal track will remain intact. Just curious. Thanks for your input.

J

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/11/15 10:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The problem is that you won't be able to eat enough to give your body the amount of nutrients it needs to function with either the VSG or RNY.

Vitamins are for life.  If you don't, you risk serious complications from malnutrition.  It's one of the things you sign up for when you have WLS. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/11/15 9:00 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Hi there Mo! Good point and I take my vites and calcium (as I did before the VSG). Just a question here though on the eating enough (or not). Before surgery I was overeating and on possibly not all the right foods. I can't imagine I got a lot of nutrients from chips and crackers then. The first year post op yes, the quantities were greatly reduced so supplementation was essential.

Now, I eat less than pre op but more than the first year after the VST - what I would say is a 'normal' person's portion - like what my naturally thin friends eat - and they don't all take vitamins. Plus the quality of my food is vastly improved. And my body is 100 lbs smaller. I wonder if I am getting more vitamins and nutrients now than I did pre-op? I certainly feel like I am in terms of energy, skin quality etc.

I can see why the question on supplementing with vitamins may be a natural one given our reduced body mass therefore needs and our improved diet overall.

I am not going to be in Grim's control group (LOL!) but it is an interesting question.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Grim_Traveller
on 3/11/15 11:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I can find another experiment for you.

Most people have no idea if their vitamins are ok or not. Doctors routinely check very few vitamins, and even fewer minerals. It's estimated that the majority of Americans are deficient in vitamin D. I was, and yhe only time I was ever tested was my last preop blood work.

You've seen yhe same posts that I have on OH. People are always looking for a magic all in one vitamin, or an excuse not to take them. I don't see what's so burdensome. I get all my levels checked regularly, and adjust what I take to suit my particular needs. Obesity aside, in some ways I'm healthier than I ever was when I ate "normally."

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

pineview01
on 3/11/15 10:57 am - Davison, MI

With the food we eat, everyone needs some kind of vitamins.  Even people without WLS usually need them.  Two years out my labs look good with just the calcium, D3, B-12 and multi.  I was doing them pre surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/11/15 7:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I've read some horror stories from people who came back several years after surgery with tales of horrible issues from not taking vitamins. I wouldn't gamble having permanent nerve damage, or worse.

But every experiment needs a control group. You could skip the vitamins and check in every few years and let us know how you're doing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Luvmygs
on 3/12/15 1:15 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I just heard a horror story from my support group this last Tuesday. This person had some MAJOR medical issues and very scary. She was there to tell us NOT to stop taking our vitamins. She was a 9 year post-op.

Luvmygs
on 3/12/15 1:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

We need to take our vitamin and mineral supplements faithfully for the rest of our life. Even though your calorie intake level after surgery may be perfect for long-term weight maintenance, it is most likely still too low to get all the nutrients you need. It is essential that you stick to the recommended multivitamin and calcium citrate for the rest of your life and take additional supplements as recommended by your doctor. This is from my NUT.

Pamela M.
on 3/12/15 2:14 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I HATE taking chewable vitamins.  Is it okay to swallow multivitamins?  I am 6 months post-op.  Anyone out there swallowing their multivitamins long-term and having good lab results?

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/12/15 2:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Once you're all healed up, you should be OK to take regular vitamin pills-- call your surgeon to double-check though. I take regular tablets that I don't chew for everything (multi, B12, iron, all on doc recommendation) with no trouble.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views