Once an addict...

momsy55
on 3/12/15 10:41 pm - ME

Every so often, I get a glaring reminder that I am still addicted to food - surprise!.  Last night, my family wanted to go to the local frozen yogurt place.  I knew I should probably not have any - it's more of a maintenance thing - but was going to anyway.  We got there, and they were out of the sugar free flavor.  I tried to be an adult about it all, and outwardly was doing ok, though not great.  Inside I was pouting big time.  I just wanted to stomp my feet about how unfair it all was!!!  I decided to wait in the car with the dog, and DH said he was coming too.  Then the two kids and the friend all came out to the car too, and I was faced with having to sit in those confined quarters while everyone ate their treats.  At that point, the adult did kick in a bit, and I decided to change places with DH and drive.  The good news is I didn't have to go to Wally World across the street and buy a 1/2 gallon of the stuff that would sit in the freezer calling my name until it was gone.  By the time I got on the highway, the Rolling Stones song lyrics started running through my head "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need".  I realized that I really did get what I needed, which was to not have the frozen yogurt, and to be reminded that I don't have the food issue licked (no pun intended! lol).  The addict in me wasn't making that decision, but thankfully, it was taken out of my hands.  By that point, everyone was done and I was fine again.  Phew!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

winehead
on 3/12/15 11:59 pm, edited 3/12/15 11:59 pm

Congrats thats a huge victory and great reminder

momsy55
on 3/13/15 1:31 am - ME

Thanks!

Tracy D.
on 3/13/15 12:46 am, edited 3/13/15 12:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

That is a big mental victory!  A friend of mine from OA told me that whenever a situation comes up where she is around old, tempting foods that she says to herself and outloud, "I've had enough _______ for a lifetime!"  and then she walks away.  

She uses that phrase when someone is pushing food on her too.  With the right tone in your voice and a sense of humor you can use this phrase to deflect the food pushers.  

I told her I was stealing this phrase and making it my own 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

zann50
on 3/13/15 1:04 am

Love that phrase!  And, the food pushers are everywhere.

momsy55
on 3/13/15 1:33 am - ME

Thanks Tracy!  I learned so much about myself from many years spent in OA, and I have used much of that knowlegde throughout this process.  I have been to a couple of meetings since I had surgery, but not sure if it's where I want to be at this point.  I know it's there if I need it though!

drea29
on 3/13/15 10:48 am

Congrats of your victory.  It is so empowering to be grown up.  I know I have a toddler inside that what's everything right now.  I set limits as I would with my grandchildren.  When I want to eat something, that I have no business having, I have been asking myself what I really need.  sometimes if I can name it I see if I can have the need met.  Sometimes I can't have the need met, but acknowledging it gives me pause.  I think in your situation my need would have been to be like everyone else and just have an ice cream like a normal person.  Unfortunately,  I am an addict and there is nothing normal about me partaking in my drug of choice. Good for you.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views