No Support.....Going it alone

C J
on 3/22/15 5:07 am - , TN

I am so thankful for this board bc it really feels like I am going this alone.  I know the main reason is bc my family and friends saw how I struggled with the Lap Band.  They are correct....it was horrible, but I tell them that I feel this will be different. It is such a lost feeling braving all of this without my family.  Do any of you have advice for me.  Please!!!! Any words of encouragement will help.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

LK85
on 3/22/15 5:13 am
VSG on 12/30/14

I was lucky enough to have 110% support from my loved ones so I can't imagine how you're feeling. Remeber that this decision is for YOU and not them. They can be concerned until they turn blue, but you need to do what you feel is the best decision.

As you said, this board is hear to lift you up, keep you on track, and cheer you on through your journey!

We've got your back!!

molfish62
on 3/22/15 5:36 am
VSG on 03/07/15

I'm lucky that I had a lot of support from my boyfriend and best friends. My family was less supportive, particularly because I was going to Mexico. I think had I had surgery here they wouldve been happier. I just knew that *this* is what I was doing. No questions. I was 100% sure that it was needed and I had to do it. It made ignoring negativity much easier. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Journey2be
on 3/22/15 5:53 am

I'm so sorry you don't have any support from home. Maybe educating them on the subject may help? Could you take them to the seminar with you so they can hear first hand from the dr how much better the sleeve is than the band? 

HW: 265, surgery wt 245, post op wt 254.  VSG: 3/3/15

MissNexxie
on 3/22/15 6:01 am
VSG on 04/30/14

In a way most of  us are going it alone because we don't have people in our lives who've had the surgery to give us perspective and this can be a challenge, but then again its a time to dig deep and follow your convictions. Very few people in my life know of my surgery and I'm ok with that, it forces me to make the right choices on my own every day around food.   It will always come down to your own decisions: what food to eat or not eat, whether to exercise, track your food, be accountable with a support system or not. It just might take more planning.

You can do this and this board will help support you in ways your family cannot. Lean on us, ask questions, vent, share, whatever you need to help you in those tough times. You can do this, you are strong and you are ready to move forward. We'll be here if you need us. We are walking your path and there's strength in that.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

TexasTerritory
on 3/22/15 7:11 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Have you already had your revision? I understand the lapband van be horrific for many people. This is a major journey and one I am happy to enjoy. It is tough at times but so worth it. Hang in there!

C J
on 3/22/15 9:41 am - , TN

I have had band removed....revision should be july!!!!! I am doing my best....just kinda feel like a salmon swimming upstream.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

ipray
on 3/22/15 7:52 am
VSG on 11/06/14

YOU AREN'T ALONE, YOU HAVE US!!! We will help you get through this! Do you have anyone willing to be with you to help for a few days after the surgery?  If not, let us know so we can help you prepare for what you need for your home care. Hang in there, you will get through this and you will be happier with the sleeve. Take care!

C J
on 3/22/15 9:44 am - , TN

I have a friend that said she would help.  Cross fingers that she actually will.  I will make it one way or another....lol

Living > Existing

256/231/135

grayC
on 3/22/15 8:02 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I am sorry you are going it alone

but the reason is mainly that your loved ones only

saw you suffer, so their opinions are based on that knowledge... 

once you've had your revision, they will see how much better it is, how much better 

you feel and how much success your having..

it is hard for you right now, so stay strong, they will come around.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views