Here I am AGAIN

LeAnn B.
on 4/6/15 12:18 pm - OH

Hey guys! So I haven't been on here in quite a while! To make a long story short I signed up years ago to get info for the VSG procedure, however my insurance denied me. Fast forward a couple years and I found myself divorced and living at home. I wanted to do something for me so decided to start researching again. Sadly my father's insurance I was on and the insurance through work has exclusions for any bariatric surgery. I started looking into getting the surgery in Mexico. I didn't have the cash, couldn't get a loan, BUT I got a CareCredit credit card that had enough on it to cover my surgery! Yay! Oh but wait. Because the surgery was in Mexico I couldn't use the CareCredit card. I was beyond disappointed. Now I'm over a year out from my divorce. Still at home, sad, only 26 with no energy with about 4 more additional failed diet attempts under my belt than last year and at my highest weight.  I can't do this anymore guys. I am too young to feel this lifeless,  no energy, my legs and back hurt so bad. It's embarrassing. I've been saving up for housing, and have $4000. It struck me, that maybe I should invest in myself. In my happiness and health. I could come up with the remaining money, no problem. (Let me explain why I saved so much for housing. See, my family is uhhhh, dysfunctional. Living with them is tough at best. But sadly I don't make much $. And I don't have another income. There is a place where you put down a large equity deposit and then your rent is less than $300 a month. Sure it's small and simple. But it would take me away from disfunction and mental and emotional stress. OR do I use the money to buy my surgery?) I need some advice so bad. Please help. Maybe you Mexico surgery folks could point me in the right direction too?? You guys are amazing! 

Laura in Texas
on 4/6/15 12:24 pm

Can you look for a new job with insurance that covers bariatric surgery? Can you get a 2nd job to make extra cash? Are you crafty? Can you make anything to sell? I would do whatever it takes to get the surgery. Lose the weight, build up your self-esteem, and find a better career so that you can support yourself. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

LeAnn B.
on 4/6/15 12:28 pm - OH

I am crafty! I actually got the money I've saved up from selling little Snowmen made of socks over Christmas! I know I can't afford the surgery here is the state's without insurance....so I am really considering going to Mexico. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/6/15 9:36 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Investing in yourself is great, just put some money aside for aftercare. Do you qualify for Medicare/Medicaid?, they might cover it. Is there a support group like OA in your area? They might help you with the eating issues & give support thru the family drama, at least till you're out on your own.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

LeAnn B.
on 4/6/15 11:01 pm - OH

I make too much for Medicaid at the moment. But I will definitely look into the support groups! That's a great idea! 

LeAnn B.
on 4/7/15 12:12 am - OH

Also may I ask about what you meant for putting money aside for after care? 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/7/15 3:00 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm thinking of follow up care, while I hope your surgery goes smoothly there can be complications after you get home & since you want it done in Mexico allow some extra money to do follow up care there, or find someone here in the states that can help you. 

There's also just regular checkups like bloodwork, tests, checking your incisions,vitamins etc. You're going for major surgery & followup care is very important. I'm not sure going back & forth to Mexico will be in your budget. If you can find someone in the states that will continue your care then definitely look into Mexico.

There's a forum for that on here & they could tell you more. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sandra F.
on 4/6/15 11:25 pm

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Fernando Garcia.  I too, could not afford the high price of the sleeve here in the US and my different insurances that I have had have always had an exclusion for weight loss surgery.  You have to weigh living with your family for a few more months, years, whatever, with your health and happiness.  Having the sleeve is not always easy, but it is rewarding and I do not regret my decision for a minute.  One idea though--with the new Obamacare, can you afford to buy your own insurance that does include WLS?  Good luck to you!

LeAnn B.
on 4/7/15 12:04 am - OH

Would you recommend Dr Garcia? Can I ask about how much you paid? I feel like every insurance had an excuse, and it's terribly frustrating. With the obamacare my insurance would cost me way more sadly.... I've considered it trust me. Lol

MF_Brooklyn
on 4/7/15 12:29 am

My heart goes out to you. I'm similar in age and felt the exact same way. I went through SO much with insurance and things. I finally just got my CEO and HR rep involved and begged for full bariatric coverage (it did help that my ce got the sleeve years ago). But I did here that some large store places cover it. Walmart? Target? home depot? I THINK one of those is it. Research jobs that cover it. then find a place that is hiring. There IS a way. You CAN do this. there are also loans (not the best i know) and sometimes programs. Just keep researching here and I'm sure something will work out. Thinking of you. I know how hard it is, but trust me, when you get it (an dyou will) you will look back and be happy you went through all this bc it made you  stronger and makes the weight loss even better!!!

Most Active