Why am I so hungry 4 days post op?

TanyaR
on 4/7/15 5:04 am

I feel like I'm starving. I had the impression that I would not be so hungry! Is this normal, did anyone else go thru this? 

EvergreenK
on 4/7/15 5:15 am
VSG on 09/16/14 with

Totally normal.  Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky enough to feel no hunger.  Are you taking prilosec or another reflux medication?  A lot of people get relief from that - the extra acid in your stomach can make you feel hungry.  For me, the first few weeks after surgery were pretty hard with hungry feelings, rumblings, etc all the time.  I got used to it over time and it has diminished, but I definitely feel hungry a lot.  The good news is that a tiny bit of food is all it takes to satisfy that hunger.  You might have to white knuckle it a little bit, but remember you are on your way to getting rid of that weight and feeling awesome.  It helps me to remind myself that hunger is not an emergency, and no one ever died from being hungry.  Also, I schedule meals so I know I only have x amount of time until I can eat again.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/7/15 5:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're not starving.  If your stomach is grumbling, it could be in need of a PPI to reduce the stomach acid.  If you're taking one and it's not working, you might need to try a different one.  Talk to your surgeon's office.

Fighting head hunger is an entirely different issue.  You've been cut off from your life line - food - after surgery and it takes some time to wrap your mind around this.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Tracy D.
on 4/7/15 6:00 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

From what both my husband and I experienced - as well as lots of other posts on here - I can tell you that the "hunger" you're feeling is most likely excess acid.  The acid-producing portion of your stomach hasn't got the message yet that it doesn't need all of that anymore.  And excess acid almost always feels like rumbling, grumbling, intense hunger pangs.  

Here's a test:  if you can take a couple TUMS and the "hunger" goes away, then it's not real.  It's acid.  And you need to get on a medication (called a PPI) that reduces that.  If you're taking one you may need a stronger one.  I had to go through a couple different ones before we hit on one that actually worked for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 4/8/15 1:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM Pacific Time, TanyaR wrote:

I feel like I'm starving. I had the impression that I would not be so hungry! Is this normal, did anyone else go thru this? 

what are you eating? If eating applesauce,oatmeal,cream of wheat or other carbs,even  fruit juice ,even if on. Your plan,will make you more hungry and you might want to eat more.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 371 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 412 views