First bit of food post-op, what was it like?

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 2:40 pm
with

I get my first bit of food tomorrow, but my instructions say I eat no more than a teaspoon over a 20 minute period.  (The food is puree, so ricotta, pureed beans, loose mashed potatoes, etc).  Will I feel full eating a single teaspoon of something?  Is it different once I'm on puree and off liquids?  I can eat a whole fudgesicle and be fine now.

I'm wondering if I should try my first bit of food after work?  (So I don't toss my cookies.)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance! 

mandidel
on 6/3/15 3:00 pm

I am 4 weeks out and had my first bit of food today! I had a piece of ham rolled with a little slice of cheese. It took me forever to eat it because I took TINY bites and chewed them into oblivion, but it went down great! It filled me up, and I stayed full for about 3 hours. I am going to eat some beans tonight, so we will see how it goes!

5'9"

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 3:09 pm
with

Before today you were on liquids only?  Holy cow.  You're my hero.  I'm at two weeks and two days of liquids, including full liquids like protein shakes.  I get purees for the first time tomorrow and you'd think Christmas came early by the enthusiasm I have for blended beans to come....

mandidel
on 6/4/15 11:12 am

Yes! I was on ful liquids for 4 weeks! It was so hard! I am on the other side though, and feel like I am truly beginning my journey! It is scary though...being able to choose my food.

5'9"

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/3/15 3:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

My first soft-solid was tuna salad, and I was absolutely full after a teaspoon! My surgeon's recommendation was to take bites the size of a fingernail clipping (gross visual, but a good size comparison), and after twenty minutes of tiny nibbles from the bottom of a paper dixie cup, I felt completely stuffed.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 3:18 pm
with

Thanks- how long before you got to 1/2 cup?  (So I keep my expectations in check.)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/3/15 3:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh go**** was probably quite a while. I remember that at 3 months, I could barely eat half of a protein bar! I think I was about 4 months out, maybe a bit further, before I could eat an entire scrambled egg or something else soft. And definitely less when it comes to dense protein; a year and a half out, 4oz of dense protein like steak is definitely pushing it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

samanthalc
on 6/3/15 4:19 pm
with

Thanks, this is very helpful! :)

Jessca
on 6/3/15 7:55 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I could eat about a quarter cup of purees right off the bat (well I started purees at 2 weeks out) and can already eat 1/2c of food now if I wanted to at 6 weeks out. Never had the "one bite and I'm stuffed" thing. Once I got to about 3 weeks I didn't have to do protein shakes anymore because I could eat all my protein.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Kiwideb
on 6/3/15 8:24 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Your not alone. I can eat two poached eggs and at least a slice of bacon on the weekends for brunch (admitidly I then won't eat until dinner). Other days a pot of yoghurt is more than ample.

I find protein varies day to day - chicken goes down easily, steak not so much. Some days I can eat what feels like a half breast, other days it's a tiny piece of steak. I've never felt the crazy eat 2oz only restriction deal and reg eat 1/2-1c at 4-5mths out. 1/2 of dense protein, 1c at times of slider foods like yoghurt mixed with cottage cheese. I very definitely can't eat more than that, slider or not. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views