sleeve or rny

judeloren
on 8/13/15 8:45 am, edited 8/13/15 9:58 am

I can't decide what to get... I'm posting this in both forums to hopefully get some advise..  some info about me.. I really like to eat a variety of foods but i am very picky at the same time. im not a big sweet eater though i like them occasionally my weakness is breads and pastas. i am 5' 10" and i currently weigh 308. ive always been big, not this big, but overweight. i had a lap band put in back in 2007 and i worked hard and lost 80 lbs with that but then i had two babies and let the band out and gained it all back plus another 36 lbs...

i'm leaning toward sleeve because i want to be able to eat on occasion in small amounts bad for me stuff. saying that though makes me feel like i maybe should get the rny so i have more issues if i do eat bad stuff. i do know that eating things that are not as good for me is likely to not help with loosing weight. I am talking about once in a while things like if i go to a wedding and i eat a few bites of cake... or a bite of bread here or there. grains are important on occasion.

i know WLS is a tool and not a fix. I also know that as dedicated as i am to complying to the rules and regulations i am human and i will slip up from time to time.  Does either surgery help with that?

what do you all think? lol ideas?

rocky513
on 8/13/15 9:22 am - WI

There isn't ANY weight loss surgery that will stop you from eating "bad stuff".  Only 30% of RNY patients dump or have a bad reaction to foods. The truth is, if you are not prepared to completely change the way you relate to food, you are probably not ready to have surgery. You have to be willing to let all that sugar, bread and pasta go in order to be healthy.  Those are the foods that got you to obesity in the first place.  

I don't say this to be mean.  I am a 29 year WLS vet and had to have a revision partially from a mechanical failure, and partially from non-compliance.  I was given a second chance to get this right.  WLS is not magic.  It takes a lot of hard work and commitment.  The surgery simply made my stomach smaller.  I still have to choose to eat right EVERY day.  Wrangling my food demons has been hard work, but I'm worth the effort.  I wish I had better news for you.  WLS is not easy.

Successful WLS vets will tell you that they have given up all processed, or simple carbs ( bread, pasta, crackers, sugar, potatoes, rice, etc.) for life.  They eat protein first and, if there is room, veggies.  Many people give up fruit until they get to goal because the body sees fruit as sugar and it will slow or stop your weight loss.  We have seen TONS of posts from people who have re-introduced these foods and have had significant re-gain.  

Some people can eat everything in moderation.  I am not one of them.  I tried to lose weight, for YEARS, my way.  Everything in moderation. All it got me was heavier.  When I stopped eating the carbs, I stopped craving them.  I don't miss them.  I find myself enjoying foods that I would have never given a chance before WLS.   I have to stick to a strict program and weigh and measure my food, or I know will gain weight.  That is my reality.

You will have to make the decision based on whether or not you are willing to be 100% compliant  and what your personal goals are. 

Best wishes to you!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

judeloren
on 8/13/15 9:52 am

thanks for replying! I do know it is hard work! with my lap band i lost weight 2 to 3 lbs a months. it was very slow and i had to work hard at it.  I also have tried the everything in moderation method and lost that battle. Its good to know you stopped craving the carbs. I will follow the rules it just seems the rules are a little stricter for the RNY.

I know i have to do something and i will give it my all! I also know that just having a wls doesn't  fix your thought of wanting foods that may not be the best for you. it is a tool to help you do that.

Valerie G.
on 8/13/15 10:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The sleeve is a restrictive procedure just like the LapBand, but a permanent solution with fewer  complications down the road.  You should expect with the sleeve the same kind of progress you got with LapBand. The RNY and DS both have a combination of restriction and malabsorption to give a metabolic boost as well.  If you think you will be happy continuing to lose 2-3 lbs a month, then go for the sleeve.  If you're hoping for more, look to the RNY or DS

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

judeloren
on 8/13/15 12:52 pm

i thought it was faster i heard maybe 2 to 3 lbs a week instead of a month. not true?

Neesie57
on 8/13/15 1:36 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Just got my sleeve done on 8/4, but was told I should lose about 1-3 pounds a week, not a month.

judeloren
on 8/13/15 1:51 pm

people on you tube do lol. i love it they say how disappointed because they only lost 20 lbs a month... i'll take that! i'm sure it tappers off and depends on exactly what is eaten.

judeloren
on 8/13/15 2:05 pm

congrats keep me posted!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 8/13/15 1:45 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Depends on your total excess weight and all sorts of other individual factors. I lost about 20 lbs the first month then it tapered off to about 10-12 for a couple of months and then slow going from 6 months out til 'goal' I would say towards the end it was 1-3 lbs a month. Some months nothing! But slow and steady was my approach. I do eat fruit and I have bread and rice and potato on occasion. I also have dark chocolate on occasion. I think I have had a piece of lasagna once since surgery. Carbs are not all totally off my menu. But certainly in hugely reduced quantities and infrequently. 

The trouble with moderation is that I can have a different 'occasional' food every day of the year without repeating the same food for months. In the end that is not moderation but feels like it!

I chose the VSG because I didn't like the idea of retouting my plumbing and wanted to have things functioning as normally as possible with a reduced capacity. I also wanted to keep the use of my pyloric valve. It has worked well for me so far but three years is still early in terms of long term maintenance.

It is work based on daily choices and mindfull eating. Bottom line is calories in vs calories out. Very much worth it!

good luck with your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

judeloren
on 8/13/15 1:50 pm

i don't like the idea of re routing either! good to know! sounds like what i am looking for.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views