Iron deficiency anemia.

-baby-fat-
on 9/8/15 9:10 am - Gatineau, Canada

Hello everybody,

I just have a quick question regarding Iron infusions and/or B-12 injections.

I'm severely anemic (have been for a few years now) and my doctor has me on liquid iron supplements.  I take that as prescribed, but am still anemic.  I'm considering asking him about getting an iron infusion.  Is this a good idea?

I'm curious if any other VSG'ers have had an iron infusion and how it went.  Did it help?  How long did the results last?  Would you recommend it? 

Also, has anyone been low in B-12?  Is this common among VSG'ers?  How did you deal with the deficiency?  Did you get B-12 injections, and if yes, did it help?

Thank you so much in advance, I appreciate any advice or opinions you may have on this.

I'm tired or feeling tired! 

Thanks again.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/8/15 12:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

By all means, ask your doctor what else you can do to boost your iron. S/he is the expert and there for medical opinions! :)

My B-12 was low soon after surgery. I started taking a dissolvable B-12 tablet with the rest of my vitamins and that got me back to normal levels.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Tracy D.
on 9/8/15 1:19 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I've also struggled with lower iron levels and still have to take oral supplements 2-3 times per week.  I can't address iron infusions as I've never been low enough to need one. 

As for B-12, supposedly all VSGers need to supplement but I've never been low on this vitamin.  In fact, when I took a B-12 supplement on my own my B-12 came back super, super high.  I've been able to keep my B-12 in the middle of normal range for the last two years without any additional supplementation.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 9/8/15 3:00 pm

Since I've never been a fan of large portions of meat, even before my surgery, I've been taking oral B-12 supplements for years, and my bloodwork shows I'm in a good range. To my surprise (I'm in my 60s and well past menopause), my iron levels tested low after my surgery, so I now take a chewable iron supplement. 

How common is this among sleevers? I can only tell you about my own experience.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

mickeymantle
on 9/8/15 10:23 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

something my hubby found out when he had cancer is that some ppi and h2blockers prevent the absorption of iron and calcium

\ most of us are on 1 of these

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views