Six weeks out and feeling weak and nauseous all the time

Mrskilmister
on 9/11/15 6:28 am
VSG on 07/31/15 with

Hello!  I am six weeks post op and feel terrible.    my stomach cannot tolerate any solid food and I am still on puree food for now.    I feel weak and nauseous all the time.    cannot drink too much water or I will get acid reflux so I am putting extra ice on my shakes to increase my water intake.      Is this normal?     

ladygodiva1228
on 9/11/15 8:17 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would put a call into your surgeon. 

Not being able to drink enough water will cause your stomach to be nauseous as you are dehydrated. 

Are you on a PPI for the acid? 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Tracy D.
on 9/11/15 8:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Just FYI....cold water can actually make acid and reflux worse (take it from the pro here - still have issues with icy drinks).  You may want to try lukewarm or room temp liquids to see if those are more tolerable.  

You should also be taking a PPI - if you haven't been started on one then get your doctor to prescribe something.  It'll make a huge difference in how you feel. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tracy S.
on 9/12/15 10:03 pm

I drink only room temp water.  I can't stand cold water in my stomach.  If you can't tolerate solid food don't pu****!!  Keep on what is comfortable for a few more weeks and then try again.  I was having an awful time with reflux and the surgeon told me two things...one was to put crystal light in my water (and drink from a CUP not the water bottle) and he told me to take omneprisol, which is prescription for reflux.  Honestly I would go back to basics if you are really feeling like crap.  Try doing the liquid diet for a week with room temp water and crystal light with something prescribed for reflux to see if you can calm your tummy down before you eat again.  Best of luck to you!

Cardamom
on 9/13/15 6:58 pm
with

I'm almost 8 weeks out and periodically struggle with nausea as well. Ive found that when I get low blood sugar I get nausea and like foam in my mouth. That's my cue to eat or drink something (piece of cheese, shake, g2) and I end up feeling better afterwards. If it is really bad I take a zofran. Drinking water seemed to prolong the feeling. Sometimes I try pedialyte to make sure I'm not getting dehydrated. Hope you're feeling better soon! 

Valerie G.
on 9/16/15 8:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I agree that you need a PPI for the acid, for the lack of fluids is giving you symptoms of dehydration (fatigue and nausea).  Call your doc.  You definitely need a script, and maybe an IV to plump your body back up with fluids so you can start feeling better.  After that, you need to find that perfect temperature and flavor to keep you drinking.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 380 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 416 views