Did anyone get staples to close their incisions?

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 7:08 pm

Do they hurt coming out?  I'm such a chicken!!  

mellen613
on 9/13/15 7:19 pm

Your new stomach, now referred to as a pouch will be stapled.  My incisions were glued shut (with super glue).  Some surgeons do use staples or just stiches.  

hollykim
on 9/14/15 1:13 am, edited 9/14/15 1:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM Pacific Time, mellen613 wrote:

Your new stomach, now referred to as a pouch will be stapled.  My incisions were glued shut (with super glue).  Some surgeons do use staples or just stiches.  

your new stomach is not referred to as a pouch, RNY ers  have a pouch. We now have a sleeve, hence the name of the procedure, SLEEVE gastrectomy.

Luisa728
on 9/13/15 7:41 pm

My surgeon told me that my "pouch" will be stitched up with dissolvable stitches & they will go away on their own while your starting to heal. Plus, he told me because I'm getting the laparoscopic surgery my incisions will be glued together with a medical super glue & that I won't have to changes any bandages or anything like that. So if your surgery will be anything like mine I wouldn't even be the slightest nervous about stitches or staples. But again depending on the surgeon it's possible that they do use staples! Just talk to your surgeon & find out 100% for sure what kind of procedures they use. That way it can ease your nervousness! :) GOOD LUCK!

Luisa

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/14/15 1:49 pm

Luisa, unless you had RNY - not VSG- you don't have a pouch. you have a sleeve. 

you better ask for a written report from your surgery...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

piscesladee
on 9/13/15 8:26 pm

Mine were glued shut and had steri strips ( sticky paper) on them.

mickeymantle
on 9/13/15 9:51 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

glue and I think some stiches , but my hubby had staple on a open surgery on his liver(tumor) and he said it didn't hurt

the incisons for the sleeve did not hurt much I had some gas pain the first day but walking and heated towels helped that

ice pops will be your friend as soon as you are allowed liquid

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Donna L.
on 9/13/15 11:01 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had dissolvable stitches for the sleeve, but I've had staples before for other abdominal surgeries.  When I had my ovary and cyst removed I had an enormous incision with dozens of them.  Really, the staples are more annoying than agonizing.  They usually come out of the incision fine - they use a special widget to get them out.  Sometimes they do tug or hurt a bit if the skin has healed over them, but it's more annoying to wait for the nurse or doctor to remove a billion staples than painful, heh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

alouisa63
on 9/14/15 3:43 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I had staples! two in each of the four small holes and five in the large one.  Mine were taken out one week after surgery and they didn't pull or hurt like I thought they might.  The worst thing was the itching the days leading up to them coming out!!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Tracy S.
on 9/14/15 10:27 am

hahaha...oh BOY am I familiar with the itching!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views