Coconu****er for Leg Cramps

Neesie57
on 9/14/15 2:07 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm in the last two weeks of my soft protein stage, and have been waking up in the morning with leg cramps.  My nutritionist told me to drink coconu****er to help prevent them, but have no idea when to drink it, or how much.  My NUT is not in today, so I can't ask her.  I'm certainly tired of this pain in the morning, so was hoping to start drinking the water tonight.

I know it's not dehydration, because I get 80 to 100 ounces of water a day.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/14/15 2:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

They probably recommended coconu****er because it's touted to contain potassium, which helps with cramps. (Same reason runners and cyclists eat a lot of bananas-- I usually have half a banana, roughly 200mg of potassium, mid-ride-- and it's helpful to soak in epsom salts for sore muscles.)

However-- the nutrition info shows that coconu****er is NOT a noteworthy source of potassium.

There are other options, though! Yogurt, white beans, milk, and fish have decent amounts of potassium in them and might be worth trying.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neesie57
on 9/14/15 2:48 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

The nutrition label says that each serving of 10 ounces has 750 grams of potassium, and 80 calories.  I think I'm more worried about the calories than anything else.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

rocky513
on 9/14/15 7:18 pm - WI

Magnesium deficiency can cause leg cramps too.  Add a 500 to 1000 mg of magnesium  to your vitamin schedule and see if it helps.  You can not OD on magnesium.  You will pee out anything you don't need.  The upside to magnesium is it will help with constipation too.

Iron deficiency can also cause leg cramps.  Have your iron/ferritin tested.  If your ferritin is below 50, you can get leg cramps as a side effect.

In the short term, this product for leg cramps actually works.  I would try to find the root cause of the cramps and not rely on these pills too often.  When I get leg cramps (usually right before I need an iron infusion) these pills are a savior.  I get relief within a minute or two.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 9/16/15 1:53 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

are you taking your calcium? vitamins and b complex?

Stretch you legs too and eat bananas for potassium. 

Make sure you are getting your calcium in.  also, may be get your labs run?

Luvmygs
on 9/17/15 7:58 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I just recently had a friend recommend Propel water for leg cramps.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views