Leak?

C J
on 9/17/15 2:59 pm - , TN

Who has had a leak post op? What happened?  How did it get resolved?

Ellie333
on 9/17/15 4:35 pm - Canada

Discovered the leak 6 days post op.  Returned to hospital, administered antibiotics through pic line for 11 days (Dr said leak was 100 percent treatable).  Pic line was needed so that I did not use my new tummy for anything (not even medication).  Leak was discovered due to pain that radiated from my stomach up into my chest and into my shoulder points with an elevated fever (should note that I followed Dr's orders both pre and post op to the letter).  One of the early indicators to a leak is an elevated temperature (important to monitor your temps post surgery).  I left the hospital after 11 days with oral antibiotics and had to start clear fluid stage over again.  My surgery was on February 18, 2015.  Update, I am down 73ish lbs, feel like a million bucks, look fantastic.  I have a way to go yet but I say it is a marathon not a sprint.  If I had it to do over again...I would do it in a minute!  Good luck...Ellie

C J
on 9/17/15 6:59 pm - , TN

Thank You so much for your reply!!!!!  I will monitor my temperature like a hawk!

Christa

Living > Existing

256/231/135

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/15 12:27 pm

In the early stages after surgery, a high temperature can also indicate severe dehydration. Either way, get yourself back to the hospital!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

novascotiadawn
on 9/20/15 12:47 pm, edited 9/20/15 12:48 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Left shoulder pain was horrific! It took them 4 months post op to figure out that I had a leak! Or that is when I was sent back to them from my family physician. I went through a lot of false diagnosis in those months! The pain meds kept my fever at bay.. Mine was surgical error and in the post op reports! :/ 

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 64 views