Mushies diet

Jennifer J.
on 10/16/15 3:38 pm - Manassas, VA
with

so I know I just had my surgery a few days ago but I am definitely looking forward to switching to mushies. Anyone have any recipes they enjoyed during mushies or any specific foods they ate during the mushies stage. I would really like to prep myself before I get into it! Thanks!!

Billy D.
on 10/16/15 5:53 pm, edited 10/16/15 10:54 am
  • Scrambled eggs and poached eggs
  • Fat free or lowfat cottage cheese
  • Fat free or lowfat ricotta cheese
  • Lowfat cheese
  • Egg salad made with lowfat mayonnaise or plain yogurt
  • Canned tuna, salmon, or chicken mixed with lowfat mayonnaise or plain yogurt
  • Tofu
  • Fat free or lowfat refried beans
  • Pureed beef, poultry, pork or fish (blend when dry and add broth to desired consistency)

Fruits and Vegetables

• Applesauce
  • Mashed bananas
  • Pureed fruit
  • Stage 1 baby food fruits and vegetables
  • Cooked and mashed vegetables

Starches/Grains/Cereals

• Cream of wheat
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Hummus

Fats and Oils (use sparingly)

• Lowfat mayonnaise
  • Lowfat salad dressing
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Canola Oil
  • Guacamole
    • Scrambled eggs and poached eggs
    • Fat free or lowfat cottage cheese
    • Fat free or lowfat ricotta cheese
    • Lowfat cheese
    • Egg salad made with lowfat mayonnaise or plain yogurt
    • Canned tuna, salmon, or chicken mixed with lowfat mayonnaise or plain yogurt
    • Tofu
    • Fat free or lowfat refried beans
    • Pureed beef, poultry, pork or fish (blend when dry and add broth to desired consistency)
    Fruits and Vegetables
    • Applesauce
    • Mashed bananas
    • Pureed fruit
    • Stage 1 baby food fruits and vegetables
    • Cooked and mashed vegetables
    Starches/Grains/Cereals
    • Cream of wheat
    • Mashed potatoes
    • Hummus
    Fats and Oils (use sparingly)
    • Lowfat mayonnaise
    • Lowfat salad dressing
    • Extra virgin olive oil
    • Canola Oil
    • Guacamole

This is the list I got, not very exciting but I'm sure you could fix'em up. I have not got to that stage but would really like to as it is so boring drinking liquid stuff as most of it is sweet and I am sick of it already but only one more week to go. Before surgery I experimented with the baby food...yuk! I want some seafood, I think I will switch the tuna for crab or lobster...that sounds pretty good? Good luck!

Jennifer J.
on 10/16/15 6:13 pm - Manassas, VA
with

Thanks! I'm so tired of liquids. Atleast with mushies I can get a little creative and have a change of flavor lol

paflyersgal
on 10/17/15 4:38 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Is this list for soft foods or for the puree stage? My doctor has these stages separated yet some of the same food are listed .. So I'm confused yet excited .. Lol

crab and lobster sounds so good..

Karen

Billy D.
on 10/17/15 6:45 pm

Yes it can get confusing and the name on this is probably not going to help.... they call this stage 3 ...."Soft Pureed Foods"...so I'm sure you are even more confused now..lol. Stage 2 was the "Full Liquid" as opposed to stage 1 which is the "Clear Liquid" stage. But you should always go by your Doctors list. Stage 4 on mine says "regular diet".

I am heading into the Soft Pureed stage next week..I am not at all hungry more bored than anything. My DR wants me to get off the shakes which is going to be hard as I can't eat enough of the things that have protein, at least not with the lack of hunger I now have. Maybe you get hungrier later and can eat pureed chicken but is sure is not pretty to look at. I practiced in my bullet before surgery..I did the chicken breast with spinach and mashed potato. Don't look at it! Just close your eyes cause it looks like baby poop. It actually wasn't that bad. I did not like the hamburger puree at all. Tuna isn't bad as it looks pretty much the same as the chicken...in fact I can't really tell the difference from the canned chicken or the canned solid white tuna. I can tell you that if you have a dog, they love it! The one I liked was Ricotta Cheese with low sugar Marinara and a pinch of Parmesan cheese, nuke it 1 minute and you pretty much have the inside of lasagna. I like the cauliflower with lowfat Cheese soup..it's not bad. The spinach with low fat cream of mushroom..ok. Since they say your tastes may change maybe I will like them more now? Oh, there is one thing I actually thought was good and that was Gerber's L'il Chicken Sticks, they taste like mild hot dogs, low in calories, fat, sodium and high in protein, and they are mushy already. Hope this helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views