Ok.. So Lesson Learned.. Do Not Take Vitamins on an Empty Stomach

Chanti_
on 10/16/15 3:40 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

So I'm running late for work tonight and I decide to chew my multivitamin and take my B12 liquid about 10 mins before leaving the house. I didn't have time to eat, my doc has me on full fluids until tomorrow. I had my protein shake mixed and ready for sipping while driving. All good right? Well I didn't even get 10 mins from my house when I had to pull over and throw up. Standing in the wind behind my car trying unsuccessfully not to get puke in my hair. I had my hair tie IN MY HAND, but I just didn't have time to use it. First time since the surgery that I felt even the slightest bit unwell.

While in the car I convinced myself I must have the stomach flu. After all I hadn't eaten anything to make me nauseous. Oh right... I hadn't eaten anything except my nasty chewable bariatric multi. Which tastes bad enough going down and worse coming up.

I called in sick to work before my epiphany about the vitamin intolerance. In any case I needed another shower. Stomach still feels a bit wobbly actually, I'm having an herbal tea to see if that settles my nausea before I put any real food in there.

Oh, and the worst lightning storm with torrential rains started up not 15 mins after I arrived back home. I have to look on the bright side, at least I didn't get struck by lightning.

KathyA999
on 10/16/15 7:07 pm

Ugh, so sorry that happened. Just a note, vitamins should be taken with food anyway (or a protein shake would work) because they need to bind with some of the nutrients in the food to get into your system. Especially the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

NerdySquirrel
on 10/17/15 11:43 am

I actually have a bad intolerance to several multivitamins with or without food. I had been taking a multivitamin that sat pretty well, but my surgeon's clinic doesn't carry it any more. Since I ran out I've tried their new brand of chewables (sick), soft chews (sick), and capsules (sick). We finally decided to order the brand I could tolerate and they should be here Monday!

I hope you are feeling better!

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

Chanti_
on 10/18/15 12:42 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I'm feeling good thanks! I would like to know the brand of multivitamin you have ordered. The chewables I have currently are fine but the taste is already starting to wear on me 3 weeks post surgery. I'm finding anything really sweet (which these are) to be hard to stomach. Literally as it turns out LOL. The company I ordered from, Opurity has a caplet form that I'm gong to try next but I'm hoping to use these up until they're gone as they were a bit pricey.

NerdySquirrel
on 10/18/15 9:55 am

I just ordered the Bariatric Advantage brand. The brand my surgeon's office is using now is Celebrate Vitamins. I really like Celebrate's Calcium Citrate chocolate soft chews, but I didn't like the taste of the multi-vitamins. I'm hoping once I'm a bit further out I'll be able to just do multivitamin capsules so I don't have to taste them!

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

Sunshine411
on 10/18/15 1:27 pm

Horrible chewable vitamin...gagged me...made it through first month almost...but researched a lot n decided to bumpy the multi vitamin patch from patch md. Several doctors like the results from the patch and I started it yesterday and will see how labs are in November.

how often are labs done anyone know?

Chanti_
on 10/18/15 5:54 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Depends on your surgeon, some recommend getting labs @ 3 then 6 then 12 months. Then, depending if you have deficiencies or not every 6-12months thereafter. I saw those patches I'm thinking about trying those, I hate swallowing/chewing pills.

Tracy D.
on 10/19/15 6:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hard lesson learned -- I absolutely can't take any kind of vitamins on an empty stomach either.

What I do now is either time it so I take them right before I start eating (can't have any lag time cuz the nausea is almost instantaneous) OR I take them right after eating with a tiny bit of water.

Glad you didn't get struck by lightening

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views