A golfball size?

KarenRW
on 11/16/15 2:43 pm - Stockton, CA

I am here asking for myself because a friend of mine is using Dr. Gary Katz in Michigan. She wants the sleeve and nothing else. Fine. I tried talking her into the DS, which is what I had, and I love it, but she is adamant about the sleeve. Ok, so now she tells me that her surgeon I assume told her that her sleeve will be like a golf ball shape? Everyone knows that the sleeve is more of a shape of a banana. Anyone else have Dr. Katz tell me about a golf ball shape to their sleeve?.

Also she was told she must eat pureed foods for maybe a month (not sure), but she cannot eat any meat, any meat for 6 months? Six months and no meat whatsoever?. In having the DS, I also have a sleeve and I was able to eat meat by the end of the first month and never had to  puree any food ever. Just had to eat soft foods for  a while egg salad, tuna salad, cottage cheese, and other cheeses. I am not sure what a person who gets just the sleeve can eat early out, but surprised about no meat and pureed food.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/16/15 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Usually the golf ball size is used to describe the RNY pouch. A sleeve is more like the size of a magic marker.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

emelar
on 11/16/15 3:08 pm - TX

Golf ball?  Nope, never heard of that one. 

Doctors' post op diets are all over the place.  The pureed food doesn't surprise me, but the "no meat" certainly does.  She may want to question this again and see if she heard it correctly!

alouisa63
on 11/16/15 4:16 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I had Dr. Katz and loved him (as did some go workers!).  He always describes the sleeve as leaving a stomach the size of a banana, not a golf ball.  As for the food - the pre diet is only a week and not total liquids.  After surgery it's a week of liquids then pureed for two weeks then soft, mushy food for two weeks.  As for meat the only restriction is on red meat.  They suggest you wait 6 months for that otherwise, chicken, turkey, fishes are all allowed.  I even had pork roast early out.  Granted it was in VERY small pieces and I chewed the heck out of it but man was it good!

If your friend has more questions and you can go with her, I would suggest going back to see him or the nutritionist.  The office is very friendly and helpful.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

alouisa63
on 11/16/15 4:22 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

oops!  Just noticed you were in CA so going with her won't help!  Also.... they have support meetings once a month and a really good FB group that is monitored by one of the nurses.   Suggest that she join that so she can ask questions.

hollykim
on 11/16/15 5:04 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 16, 2015 at 10:43 PM Pacific Time, KarenRW wrote:

I am here asking for myself because a friend of mine is using Dr. Gary Katz in Michigan. She wants the sleeve and nothing else. Fine. I tried talking her into the DS, which is what I had, and I love it, but she is adamant about the sleeve. Ok, so now she tells me that her surgeon I assume told her that her sleeve will be like a golf ball shape? Everyone knows that the sleeve is more of a shape of a banana. Anyone else have Dr. Katz tell me about a golf ball shape to their sleeve?.

Also she was told she must eat pureed foods for maybe a month (not sure), but she cannot eat any meat, any meat for 6 months? Six months and no meat whatsoever?. In having the DS, I also have a sleeve and I was able to eat meat by the end of the first month and never had to  puree any food ever. Just had to eat soft foods for  a while egg salad, tuna salad, cottage cheese, and other cheeses. I am not sure what a person who gets just the sleeve can eat early out, but surprised about no meat and pureed food.

maybe. She is confusing the sleeve and the RNY pouch.

krupkina
on 11/17/15 8:15 am

I had Dr. Katz and he never mentioned anything like a golf ball size....strange.   And per the NUT in his office it was advised not to eat red meat for 6months but you could eat other types of meat no problem.  She will get a whole booklet on what to eat when she goes to the final class a couple of weeks before surgery.  I loved Dr. Katz.  He was very informative and answered all of my questions. 

Tracy D.
on 11/17/15 11:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm wondering if she is confusing what the doctor told her with other information that she's read from other sources?  And maybe she's getting it all mixed up?  I can't imagine him giving her this kind of mis-information. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

alouisa63
on 11/17/15 4:19 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I can't imagine it either!  maybe he told her she would be able to eat food the size of a golf ball to start?  I saw him three times before surgery and I followed up with him 4 times in the last three months and never heard that!

Most Active