Darn stall and afraid to eat

Grim_Traveller
on 12/21/15 1:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

First, that is not the well respected medical institution talking, it's whatever lackey cuts and pastes onto their website. It's hardly peer reviewed. I have seen a ton of stuff on the Mayo Clinic website that is just simply wrong.

Going on a severe calorie restriction if you have 10 or 20 pounds to lose may not be a good idea. But almost everything you will find out there about low calorie diets has absolutely nothing to do with the morbidly and supermorbidly obese.

We have seen a lot of people come and go who talk about starvation mode, losing slow to either maintain their metabolism or to minimize excess skin. The category that all of those people fall into a couple of years down the road is "obese." The clock is ticking. If you do not get the weight off in the first 1-2 years, it's never coming off. Sure, there are a few people that continue to lose very slowly, or resume losing after a hiatus, and they eventually make goal. But it is really, really rare. Just get the weight off.

There have been a ton of studies on adaptive thermogenesis -- the technical term for starvation mode. Those with a little weight to lose do see their metabolisms slow a little. The most famous study, where individuals started off with body fat percentages in the teens -- what we would consider skinny -- resulted in a maximum metabolic slowdown of 15%, but most were less. This was after many months of starvation level diets. The morbidly obese can't be on a starvation level diet, because we are carrying hundreds of thousands of excess calories around in our guts and asses. We are like calorie camels.

I can show you lots of peer reviewed scientific literature showing that starvation mode as most people imagine it is ludicrous, but you won't listen. you can troll websites and blogs trying to prove your point, but it's unscientific nonsense.

If people want to succeed, they'll listen to people who have been here, and what has worked in real life. But if you want to rationalize being able to eat more food everyday because of pseudo-scientific hokum, go right ahead. I'll be spending another year comfortably sitting at my goal weight.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/22/15 5:01 am

So.. How do you explain when a person on a very low calories, low carb diet, decides to eat sugar loaded snack and rapidly, by the next day or so, losses weight- eating candies made me lose 3 lbs.. Overnight...

I was in a stall.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 12/22/15 5:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Fun sized Three Musketeers are known for their magical qualities.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

aldade
on 12/22/15 4:27 am

THANK GOODNESS......you have this article.  I took a ton of flack for my question I posted about 6 weeks ago about not being an over eater but an undereater and was accused of not being honest with myself, I was a liar, it wasn't possible to be obese if I didn't eat enough, to not have the surgery because it was for over eaters only ect ect ect....that finally 1 comment was that maybe all the negative would help me be honest about my food intake....SERIOUSLY!!! I am VERY honest with myself and have NO PROBLEM admitting to anything....but to have myself be judged based off assumptions....well quite frankly it sucked!!  I didn't just pull this out of my butt and came up with the conclusion onmy own that my body was going into starvation mode due to not eating enough, therefore storing everything as fat.  As much as I like most of the feeds on here, and I was under the impression that it was for help....some people forget that EVERY SINGLE BODY.....including theirs is different!!!  The reaction I got to an earlier post has made he hessitant to post again because I needed the encouragement NOT the opinions or rudeness from others!  Thank you again for posting this.....sadly or unfortunately, depending on h ow you look at it.....others will NOT believe and still call you a liar.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/22/15 4:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

So, how has it been going? Have you been eating more for the last six weeks, and seen the weight just falling off? Have you reached your goal weight with your new system?

Anything we can possibly imagine, we can find an article on the internet saying it's true. It doesn't make it, you know, actually true.

Santa Claus eats all those cookies and drinks all that milk, just to stay out of starvation mode.

6'3" tall, male.

ubserved
on 12/22/15 11:53 am

Very true, nor does it make everything you say fact. I met with my surgeon yesterday for a follow up and asked him outright about is starvation mode fact or myth and his response was fact. While it is connected to the stomach, what causes it is in the brain. Basically feast or famine. That if your caloric intake gets too low, especially for an extended period of time, your body will go into a type of conservation mode in an attempt to keep you alive. Your brain doesn't realize you are dieting or trying to lose weight when you restrict your caloric intake to such an extreme for a period of time. I've been in the mostly 800-1000 calorie range for the 47 days and I have lost 69 pounds as of this morning's step onto the scale. As I look back at my daily log of intake and scale reading, the time I stalled for 8-9 days two weeks ago, I had pushed my caloric intake down really low in an attempt to drop weight faster and it stalled. 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/22/15 12:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If I had a nickel for every time someone swore that eating a candy bar broke a stall, or some other foolishness, I'd have a big huge bag of nickels.

By all means, follow whatever plan you want. When you've lost 100% of your excess weight, gotten to the middle of the healthy BMI range, and maintained that within 3 pounds for three years, come back and tell us about it.

6'3" tall, male.

ubserved
on 12/22/15 2:01 pm

I never advocated for someone to eat a candy bar or some junk food to break a stall. I would have recommended adding in an extra protein shake or two. Is there some reason you have to be a consistent confrontational jackass? If I had a nickel for every time I dealt with some one that is alive simply because a condom broke, I'd be a billionaire kicking back on the beach in Aruba. Like those other two fools, welcome to the ignore list.

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/15 2:53 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with
On December 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM Pacific Time, ubserved wrote:

I never advocated for someone to eat a candy bar or some junk food to break a stall. I would have recommended adding in an extra protein shake or two. Is there some reason you have to be a consistent confrontational jackass? If I had a nickel for every time I dealt with some one that is alive simply because a condom broke, I'd be a billionaire kicking back on the beach in Aruba. Like those other two fools, welcome to the ignore list.

He's always been very nice, and extremely helpful. Perhaps he's consistently confrontational because you consistently hand out wrong information, which can harm someone ill-informed enough to listen to you.

Perhaps if you were a lot smarter, he'd be a little nicer.

And honestly, I have seen post after post from you that exhibit serious anger problems. I'll say a prayer for you, and hope you get some help.

ubserved
on 12/22/15 3:14 pm

Well let's see, I find information on a respected medical institution's website, have that further collaborated by a board certified surgeon, how is that bad advice, if I appear angry, it's because Grim wants to debate anything and everything up to and including whether a comma is used incorrectly in a sentence. So when it occurs over and over again, yes I tend to get a bit angry over it. That hardly translates to serious anger issues. That translates to I can't stand him and have since blocked him so I will never see him again, problem solved. It's amazing how people who don't even know me on here think they do know me. Apparently you seem to be of like mind with Grim, you call into question my intelligence. You don't know me either, in fact I think it's the first time I have ever seen you, so save your prayer for yourself and detach your lips from Grim's backside.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views