Darn stall and afraid to eat

ubserved
on 12/21/15 3:54 pm

I've been drinking the Premier Protein shakes that I have bought from Costco, they are ready to drink, just refrigerate and grab when needed. They have chocolate which is pretty good, I tried the vanilla and strawberry ones which weren't that great, I was planning to try to make them better with some tourani's sf syrup, but I have yet to do that. Try the chocolate ones, they are 11 ounces, 160 calories and 30 grams of protein per bottle. I am sure Grim will suggest powder or another brand being it seems since a difference of opinion a while ago, he wants to contradict everything I say and make it personal.

Nikke2003
on 12/21/15 6:54 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Your comment about Grim seems a bit petty to me. He provided you with an articulate response with the goal of helping you for the long term. It would be in your best interest to keep an open mind when the members of these boards that are years out from surgery share information like this with you. Nobody here wants to be contradictory just for the sake of being contradictory. They are trying to help.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/21/15 8:08 pm

I've heard water with a bit of vinegar is a great way to cleanse the system.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

ubserved
on 12/21/15 8:32 pm

Never tried that, but I did have some milk of magnesia and I swear I flushed out every meal I had ever ate since birth. Sorry for the TMI, but I'll tell you, that worked like insanely well, wasn't fun but effective.

aldade
on 12/22/15 4:35 am, edited 12/21/15 8:38 pm

I as well drink the Premier shakes from Costco....I also found the Muscle Milk Light shakes there as well and I keep those in my car....they are pretty good....a little smaller but less calories and only 20 grams of protien verses the 30 with Premier.  I also set my alarm to go off every 2-2.5 hours to eat some sort of protien,...whether it is a shake or greek yogurt...something....otherwise I feel like I am dumping but in reverse.....like my blood sugar is dropping too low.....sweaty skin, very pale and kind of lethargic.  Additionally I have found it is easier for me to get my protien in because I use unflavored powered Whey....Jarrow is the brand that I got off Amazon but GNC has a unflavored but the scoop is HUGE.  1 scoop has 18g of protien....whether I mix in soup or SF pudding....hot cereal....I try to put it in everything....I am really trying to avoid the hair loss as much as possible if I can help it.  I am 5 weeks post op and have lost 40 lbs since surgery date on 11/18/15.  The only thing I really struggle with is water....I use to be a chugger and I miss the quenching of my thirst and NOT being able to do that....I am drinking atleast a liter a day but prior to surgery I was a 3-4.5 liter a day girl.

Karen D.
on 12/21/15 5:11 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

We aren't that far apart in surgery dates.  I went to the nutritionist last week and asked her if when I hit week 4 could I advance and she said she wanted me to stay on pureed.  I am afraid to eat more solid food.  When I was banded it was the same way, the nutritionist told me after 2+ months that I had to start eating normally.  I was just too afraid.  

For me though, my head is messed up.  I equate eating with gaining weight.  I mean eating anything, whether it is good or bad and even if it fits in my calories for the day.  I'm not a head case, it just comes with 40 years of having to be on a diet and watch every bit of food that went into my mouth.  It's a hard habit to break.  I'm working on it.

I get where you're coming from.  I think you'll soon see a drop in weight.  Keep doing what you're doing and keep the exercise going, that's awesome!  

KWray615
on 12/22/15 6:39 am
RNY on 11/16/15

I totally can relate to the head being messed up and associating all eating with gaining weight! Every time I ate, no matter what I was eating I felt guilty and shameful! I've really been working hard on changing that since my surgery! Thank goodness I haven't struggled with that since before my surgery...that sucked!

White Dove
on 12/21/15 1:39 pm - Warren, OH

I believe that starvation mode exists and kicks in when a body is completely depleted of fat.  People in famines and concentration camps got to a point where they weighed about 80 pounds and did stop losing weight.

People who have weight loss surgery would have to lose a lot of weight to end up in starvation mode.  Most have at least an extra hundred pounds to draw from so that the body is not in starvation mode.  When you eat less than you burn your body will draw on its reserved fat for nourishment.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/21/15 8:16 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The only time I got a little scared of eating was when I finally went from soft foods to regular food. I was scared of screwing up & falling back into bad patterns again. I was afraid of treating this as a diet instead of a lifestyle change & that's what you have to keep in mind. Sure you can go back to liquids but long term this won't help you. It took a long time to gain all this weight & develop bad habits. Now is the time to develop good ones.

Don't look back, don't go back to liquids, don't give in to fear. You're making changes that will affect the rest of your life & those changes won't always show up in the scale. You're starting to feel more energetic right? You're bike riding & not feeling out of breath, that's not showing up in the scale. It's showing up in you!

Finally, your body has gone thru & will go thru a lot in the future. I won't describe what you have as a stall as much as what I call a pause. The body sometimes needs time to figure out all the changes happening to it. 

Stick with it & you'll make it. Good Luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Tink3125
on 12/22/15 4:16 am
VSG on 12/01/15

T,

Thank you so much for your supportive comments! You seem to get what I was trying to express as far as the fear goes. It's a day at a time!

Tink

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views