Is VSG right for me?

MissB7
on 1/6/16 5:07 am

I am considering VSG.. 5ft even HW249 CW249 I have Fibromyalgia,Gerd,Migraines,PTSD, and a few other issues. I would like to be here for my kids and enjoy life. I go for Consultation this month and I am nervous.

I am new to any form of help. Please let me know your thoughts and how things went for you. 

Tracy D.
on 1/6/16 7:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

VSG is typically contraindicated for someone with GERD because the surgery can make the problem much worse.  Now if your GERD is caused by a hiatial hernia that can be fixed during the surgery, you might do better. 

It's not the end of the world if you have to go with RNY rather than VSG. Listen carefully to your doctor, read all the information you can, and make sure you are brutally honest with him about all your other medical issues.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

White Dove
on 1/6/16 7:24 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY and love what the surgery did for me.  At 67 years old, I am full of energy and wear size 4 jeans that are a little loose.  The brand I love most does not come in a 2.

Living life free from excess weight has been a wonderful gift.  For most people GERD is cured by RNY.  After the surgery I have never been hungry again.  For the first years, I was never hungry and what I did eat was not completely absorbed by my body.  Weight loss was very easy.  Not absorbing food is a gift of RNY for the first few years.

Now at eight years out I absorb more of my food but hunger has never returned.  I am still content with small meals.  I still track my food and weigh daily.  I wear a fitness tracker and track my exercise, calories, and sleep.  I am looking forward to many healthy and happy years ahead.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

psychoticparrot
on 1/6/16 7:44 am

"Is VSG right for me?

Sorry, but at this stage, you're asking the wrong people. You and your surgeon must make that decision, based on all of your medical conditions and after any medical tests your doctor may want to run.

However, I applaud your decision to do something about your weight. 249 pounds may not sound like a lot, but at 5 feet (I'm 5'1"), that's a lot of weight to have to lug around with you every day. I wish you the best.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Jen J.
on 1/6/16 11:02 am - Canada

I agree that this is a decision best left up to you and your Doctor.  Do some research on the different surgeries and weigh out the pros and cons and go from there.  I had the VSG and it has worked wonderfully for me but everyone is different.  Good Luck!

HW: 349 (July 2, 2015) Height: 5'3", Birthdate: March 19, 1974

VSG: July 24, 2015 Moncton, NB Canada -- Dr. Sylvain Beausoleil

CW: 194lbs, goal: 155lbs

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/6/16 11:54 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

As Tracy mentioned, VSG is usually not recommended if you currently suffer from GERD.  The RNY is probably what your surgeon will recommend based on that problem alone.  But this is a decision to make with help from your surgeon based on his review of your medical conditions.

Either surgery will work, if you change your lifestyle.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

MissB7
on 1/6/16 12:21 pm

I appreciate everyone for responding. I plan on discussing these things with my doctor as well. I am just so anxious about everything. My sister had RNY and she has lost 200lbs and she is maintaining it very well after 3 years. I am doing research however when I came across VSG I wasn't too sure if it was for me. So I will keep you all updated on what happens. Thanks again everyone. 

White Dove
on 1/6/16 12:24 pm, edited 1/6/16 4:24 am - Warren, OH

Either surgery will work but I would think twice if your surgeon recommends VSG and you suffer from GERD.  VSG is just much easier for the surgeon and the solution for you is to have it revised to RNY if you cannot live with the GERD because it got much worse after surgery.

I would not put my body through two surgeries. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 443 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views