Surgery tomorrow - I am a ball of nerves

LosinginAZ
on 1/18/16 7:41 pm

So I check in tomorrow morning at 5:30 am for my surgery. I have worked so hard to get here, but honestly it always seemed like a distant dream, now its real. I am so nervous about dying during surgery. I know that at my hospital no one has ever died from WLS but I am still scared. 

Question, my doctor says I should expect to stay in the hospital 2-3 days. Does tomorrow count as one of those days? :P

Thanks everyone!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

kyzze
on 1/18/16 8:08 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

You will be fine. Say a little prayer before they wheel you back to the OR. I wish you the best.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/16 8:51 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

I know it's hard but try not to stress you don't want to raise your blood pressure. The hospital has never lost anyone to WLS that should give you some peace of mind. Just pray/meditate and try and relax. Once they have an IV in you ask if they will give you something for nerves, they did for me.

ubserved
on 1/19/16 1:31 am

Yes tomorrow is day one. I am wondering why he said perhaps 3 days, I went home the day after surgery, some have gone home the same day. I wouldn't worry about the mortality side of it, that's normal nerves before surgery, we all had it, you will be fine and you will be relieved once you progress to your next stage of your journey. Good luck.

happyteacher
on 1/19/16 3:31 am

It is super normal to be jittery. The awesome thing about the surgery is that when they give you the stuff that knocks you out, you literally wake up wondering if you had the surgery done at all. Easy peasy. You will be a little sore, need a little time to adjust to sipping/eating, but it will be manageable! And in 6 months you will look back and be amazed at how much your life changed! I was out in a day per request without issue. This latest round though they kept me for 2 days. Not many go 3 (I believe). Tomorrow counts as day 1. I am so excited for you to join the losers!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 1/19/16 3:32 am

Oh, and if you even think you might get nauseous from the anesthesia tell them. They will give you a patch prior to surgery. This wls was my first of many over the last few years... the patch really helps!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

JudithJohnson
on 1/19/16 6:34 am
VSG on 12/03/15

Dear LosingInAZ, you are not going to die, you are going to be a healthier and happier you! The surgery will go fine, these doctors do this all the time. It is normal to be nervous, not only are you about to have major surgery but you also are changing your life for the better forever. I was nervous the morning of the surgery, once I was there I was fine. I had to be there about an hour before I was scheduled and the nurses were nice, answered my questions and they gave me something to relax. Get excited! good things are coming! Good luck tomorrow, and please check in with us when you can so we can welcome you to the losers club! :)

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

Most Active