Talking to your employer about leave of absence...and how long did you take?

cupofjavaVSG
on 2/9/16 9:16 am

I manage short term disability claims. You can not pick the amount of time you want to take off, just because a Dr supports your need for an extended time off does not guarantee you will be paid. Of course you can take 4 weeks and up to 6 months / 180 days off from work under FMLA. However, you will not be guaranteed to be covered under your short term plan. To be honest with you, the type of job you have will dictate the amount of time you will need to recover to get back to work.

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/9/16 11:04 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm a pretty open person, my first time around with lap band I was open with everyone.  However next month I'll be having a revision to VSG done.  I just told my boss Friday that I had to have surgery next month to remove my lap band.  No more than that.  My reasoning is I work with a large group of people and while many people are supportive I don't feel like this time I want to explain 100xs what I'm doing, how my loss is going, and answer a million questions.  

I said I'd want 1week off for sure and the option to work from home the 2nd week.  Your boss being a man shouldn't be weird. Men have WLS too and this is not a male or female issue.  Tell them as much as you want, this is not about hiding something it's about your medical issue and recovery time.  Your right in that it will spread fast because people are mosey and love talking about weight.  Consider how much you want people to know, you can add details later but you can't take them back.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

ejirish
on 2/10/16 4:24 am

Thank you all for the responses! I know this makes me sound like a selfish jerk (lol) but my goal is to have the best recovery AND as much time off as possible! Theres lots of turmoil at my company right now, and I dont get a lot of timeoff. Yes, I basically sit all day- but there is lots of stress... a break would be very nice...I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

And, although I fully realize theres nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about (and I'm neither) I wont be telling my boss or HR all of the details, I'm going to keep it brief and private...

Tanks again to all of you for sharing...I cant wait to get there!

TXBigKahuna
on 2/11/16 10:15 pm

Had the surgery on a Monday morning, 1 night in the hospital and home the next evening.  I set at a desk, no lifting and nothing to physically demanding.  I was off for a week.  I've been very fortunate, no nausea and was off the pain meds by mid 3rd day.  Not even a tylenol or motrin now for 6 weeks.

Work with your surgeon and don't rush back to work.  Best wishes to a speedy recovery!!!

FuturePinUp
on 2/12/16 9:35 am

I work a desk job and I took a week off total, though I felt totally ready to go back by Day 3-4. I was off pain meds by Day 3, and had no complications or anything. I didn't tell my job anything about the type of surgery I was having. Didn't want anyone to know.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views