Need prayers please...feeling nervous

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 6:50 pm, edited 2/14/16 6:53 pm - Apopka, FL

Upcoming surgery to repair very bad hiatal hernia that has been causing me extreme pain & discomfort. I'm 5 years post op, been fine until now. I hope & pray this surgery "fixes" me & that I don't regret doing the sleeve. Because right now, I can't help but feel that it has altered my quality of life. Had I not had the sleeve, I wouldn't have this bad hernia. Yes, I lost weight, gained some back, but this pain after only eating a few bites is horrific & very concerning. I know I'm in good hands with my bariatric surgeon, but still. I'm a mom to 3, I can't afford to be out of commission. I'm nervous about the pain I'm having, that it ACTUALLY goes away after surgery, nervous about the surgery itself, the recovery, the pain, etc. I'm a mess!! :(

NYMom222
on 2/14/16 7:17 pm, edited 2/14/16 11:19 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am sure you will do fine and hopefully will have some relief. I think it is natural to be nervous before any surgery. I have never heard of bariatric surgery/sleeve causing a hiatal hernia though. Many people get them, my sister had hers operated on and she never had any kind of bariatric surgery. I have an incisional hernia that I can't wait to be operated on, and I am hoping my symptoms go away as well.

Feel Better...

Edited to add: and yes, prayers!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 7:40 pm - Apopka, FL

Thank you. I should probably edit to say it didn't "cause" the hernia, but the extreme weight loss from the sleeve in a way did. It made the opening larger. I know you can lose weight naturally though. 

brilynn79
on 2/14/16 8:06 pm

Surgery is always scary, especially when you have 3 little lives depending on you.  Hoping you find some peace and solace from your worry and pain.  Prayers your way.

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 7:48 pm, edited 2/14/16 11:55 am - Apopka, FL

Who knew that a bad hiatal hernia causes you to feel as though you're having a heart attack or that you're trying to digest an elephant! That's how it feels! I thought hernias cause acid reflux, and they do, but I never feel the classic symptoms of acid in the throat, belching. I feel massive pain in my chest. I have to excuse myself from the table if at a restaurant & work my way out of it. I sometimes make 2 -3 trips to either throw up or deal with the pain in privacy. It's not pleasant, it ruins the moment, it's not normal. I pray this can be fixed..

happyteacher
on 2/14/16 7:52 pm

Try not to worry- I just went through that exact surgury a couple of months ago. It wasn't a problem- a little bit of swelling at first, repeated the phases of eating, and good as new now. And the added bonus of being able to keep food down and dramatically improved acid. It was easier than my vsg surgery.

Sending good karma your way! You will be back on your feet in no time!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

farewell2fat
on 2/14/16 8:04 pm - Apopka, FL

Thank you @Happyteacher. Appreciate that.

CathyWray
on 2/15/16 10:16 am - Madison, TN

I will be praying for you.  I'm proud of you for voicing your feelings and your needs. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views