Desperately need advice

JudithJohnson
on 3/25/16 6:32 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I was sleeved 12/3/15. At almost 4 months out I have lost over 60 lbs and was doing well up until about 2 weeks ago. I had a major episode of cramps after not having chewed my food well enough and it was so horrible that I can honestly state I rather have a baby then ever going through that again. Ever since I have not been ok. Everything I eat or drink makes me nauseous, especially water and protein shakes. The only thing I can handle without problems is bread, but I am not supposed to eat much of that. My stomach hurts all the time and after a visit with the surgeon and an ultrasound to ensure nothing was wrong, I am now on Zofran and some liquid to coat my stomach to prevent the nausea. I am also noticing that as where I used to be able to eat 3/4 cup of food, I am now full after 2-3 bites of anything. My surgeon thinks it may be inflammation from the episode I had that never went away, but the medication is not really helping either. I feel bloated and full all the time, and trying to walk it off doesn't really help. I don't feel hungry at all anymore (I used to in the first 3 months) and can't get the liquids or the calories in that I need to get in. I have to force myself to eat or drink anything and it's a real struggle at the moment. I hope some of you may understand this or have gone through this as well and can share some experiences and advice?

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

happyteacher
on 3/25/16 6:56 am

I experienced something very similar a few years back. If I had to guess, and please let me emphasize that I am indeed entirely guessing- the one episode that was identical to what you described might be when my stomach herniated. There was a a lot of pain for days after the episode, nausea, inability to eat much of anything, etc. I can for sure confirm that if your stomach is herniated, it can cause bloating, the fullness you are talking about, etc. I think that given it has been going on for a while you should consider going to a gastric doctor- not necessarily your bariatric surgeon. It took a while for the gastric doc to chase down everything that was causing me issues. First, he put me on a strong ppi twice a day- this helped. I didn't have the typical symptoms of tons of acid reflux. He put me through an endoscopy, and found inflammation, but couldn't "see" the large hiatel hernia (the doc can't tell from the scope if the stomach is in the chest area or not, they can just tell it is the stomach).

Next, I ended going back after a month or two- can't quite remember, as I continued to have issues. Got diagnozed with gallstones via an ultrasound. At the appointment where he told me I needed surgery, and asap when he palpatated my abdomen I had soreness in the wrong spot. He sent me in for a CT (he was concerend due to my cancer history I suspect). CT is what found the large hiatel hernia- nearly all of the stomach was in the chest area. My bariatric surgeon is the guy I went to for the removal of the gallbladder, and when he got the results of the CT he questioned it. He had me get an Upper GI, which confirmed it. Surgery then was to remove the gallbladder and repair the hiatel hernia. 

Anyway, it just sounds like you need a gastric doc. He or she will be well-versed in dealing with the various issues that might impact the digestive system. Don't wait- it can be a slow process getting the right diagnosis due to the symptoms being fairly common and it taking a while to narrow things down. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 3/25/16 7:04 am

Forgot to ask... are you getting a lot of burping/belching? That went along with my symptom list that I didn't notice in your post. The docs also mentioned that the bloating and sometimes loose stools could be from the hiatel hernia as well as the gallbladder issues I had going on. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

JudithJohnson
on 3/25/16 7:09 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I do have the burping/belching and it drives me crazy. The surgeon said if the meds don't make it better within a week I need to come in for a GI scope

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

happyteacher
on 3/25/16 7:28 am

An endoscopy (scope) is different than an Upper GI- just know that if it is a hiatel hernia causing it, the endoscopy could very well not detect it. Not sure which you are getting. Also, if it turns out to be that I just wanted to share that my sleeve was really "streched out" due to the hernai according to the surgeon and on the day of the surgery he warned me he might be resleeving me as a result. Once he put the stomach back though, he popped back to the regular sleeve shape. Just wanted to let you know in case something like that pops up for you. 

LosinginAZ
on 3/25/16 7:21 am

I am so sorry you are going through this :( I have no advice to offer unfortunately, but hang in there, I am sure this will pass. Do you take a PPI currently? Maybe it would help to go back to puree, easier for your stomach possibly. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you feel :) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views