6 days post op VSG

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/4/16 9:35 am

I am really struggling getting protein in. I'm on a puree diet and I honestly would rather not eat and just have my water. My protein shake is making me want to vomit. Any suggestions?!?! I had my VSG 3/29/16

luvmypuggies
on 4/4/16 9:49 am

Make sure you're reading your post-op diet correctly.  For me, I was on clear liquids for the first week, which meant no protein shakes, and I think this is a very common schedule.  Check with your doc of course, but my thought would be to not worry about the protein at this stage - the main concern right now is resting and healing.  I think I lived on water, watered-down apple juice, sugar free jello, and that sort of thing for the first week.  Good luck!

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/4/16 11:26 am

Hey,

i had my operation at university of chicago. They no longer allow patients to go home on a liquid diet. My sister had the liquid diet for 2 weeks also and had her VSG at the same hospital in 2013. Before discharge they made sure I could tolerate yogurt, etc. 

luvmypuggies
on 4/4/16 11:40 am

Cool!  I'll bet you're making a lot of people who are stuck on liquid diets really envious! :)

Have you checked the blog called EggFace?  She has lots of good puree-phase ideas and recipes, so maybe you'll find some protein options there that are a little more tolerable.  The ricotta bake is fabulous.

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/4/16 12:01 pm

I haven't! Thank you so much for the tip!!! I'm going to check out the blog now.

seriouz77
on 4/4/16 10:40 am
VSG on 04/11/16

How was your surgery? I am having my surgery next Monday and I'm a little nervous. Also, my post-op directions say clear liquids for first 14 days, so check with your doctor.

cupofjavaVSG
on 4/4/16 12:00 pm, edited 4/4/16 5:01 am

I am 6 days out and I haven't taken pain medicine since day 4. I will say for me the worst pain is the gas pain from the surgery. I still have some gas pain but it's nothing like it was. Anxious and nervous is exactly what I was prior to surgery. I'm definitely glad it's behind me. No more thinking what if this or that.

BankerBethany
on 4/4/16 8:40 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

My surgery is next Monday also! Best of luck!!!

seriouz77
on 4/5/16 4:27 am
VSG on 04/11/16

Good luck to you as well!!!ð?'?ð?'?ð?'???

Kris R.
on 4/4/16 10:43 am - Walworth, NY

I had a real hard time with anything chocolate - try the vanilla - and i still have to drink them room temperature or I get nausea.  I also can't drink cold water, the doc said that has to do with my stomach, and when cold thing**** it, the blood vessels constrict.  he said that would get easier, but now that I know what to do, it isn't so bad.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views