i chew it to get the taste, then spit it out....

Olive328
on 5/8/16 6:01 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

hello all. My one month post op was on 5/5, down as of today 23lbs. I'm still on 2 shakes a day and one meal of cottage cheese, mash or yogurt and frankly I stick to the cottage cheese almost daily...and I'm sick of it. Last week I had a party with AMAZING food right in front of me, it was so awkward for me to try and act normal so no one suspected, I ordered salmon with mash potatoes, had very tiny amount of the mashed potatoes but I had to eat some salmon cause it didn't look NORMAL if I didn't, I was so uncomfortable so I would chew it and when I could I would spit it into my napkin. I have also done this at home when there are days I can't resist certain things that I would normally love to eat, so I chew it, and spit it out. I find that lately I've done this more often. Has anyone done this???

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/8/16 6:13 pm

chew and spit is an eating disorder... 

google that.. really really bad idea...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Olive328
on 5/8/16 6:28 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Oh no. Idk what it is but I miss food with taste, food was always my comfort and my go to for everything, I feel sad that I can't it, don't know if that makes sense

luvmypuggies
on 5/8/16 6:26 pm

Please don't go down that path.  Why torment yourself like that? If at all possible, get that stuff out of the house.  After a month, you should be starting to add in some more variety to what you're eating, so try experimenting with different proteins like (tiny amounts of) ground turkey or chicken, etc.  I love the blog called "The World According to Eggface" - lots and post-op type food suggestions and recipes. Try her ricotta bake - it's fantastic. :) 

Olive328
on 5/8/16 6:32 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

I think it's the emotional eater in me, food was always my go to, now it's like what do I turn to, so quite a few times I've done the chewing and through it out  they haven't told me I can eat anything else, hopefully tomorrow at my doc appt they will. 

luvmypuggies
on 5/8/16 8:01 pm

I'm sure most people can relate to the "emotional eater" problem - I know I can!  I'm amazed that your doc hasn't put you on more foods yet - hope that gets added tomorrow.  I couldn't eat cottage cheese for a month, no wonder you're sick to death of it. :)

One word of advice from a fellow emotional eater - as you start eating more normal foods, really try to watch the carbs. Make sure you eat the dense proteins first so you don't have room to eat carbs.  Carbs tend to make us crave more carbs, so if you can keep the carbs really low then the emotional food desires seem to be easier to deal with.  If you do give in to a craving, force yourself to make it a bite of chicken for example, rather than crackers or sweets.

Good luck at the appointment tomorrow - hope they're able to help you out!

Mary Gee
on 5/8/16 6:39 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You are headed for trouble.  There's no reason you should be eating cottage cheese every day.  Put in some effort and search for bariatric recipes.  Check out  Eggface's site - she has numerous recipes that would be helpful to you.  I'd rather be eating her ricotta bake than spitting out salmon (which is NOT normal).  Do a Google search for recipe sites.

Chewing food and spitting it out is not a sign that you are headed for success.  Don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but you've got to work with your new tool. 

Hope you get on the right track soon.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Olive328
on 5/8/16 6:45 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Thank you that really was what I needed. In my mind I thought ok I'm not swallowing the food so it's not bad but your right, it's not good. I haven't looked for recipes because the nutritionist still has not given me a new food list, only liquids, shakes, yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, baby food and that's pretty much it.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/8/16 6:52 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The chewing & spitting is really not a good idea. If you're an emotional eater you should seek out therapy/support groups to help you. I understand that you miss chewing, but you're healing right now & you should stop worrying about eating foods that you shouldn't eat to look normal.

Its hard to resist food when you're going thru the stages, but you'll have to try harder. Walk away, distract yourself. It'll get easier once you're further along.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Olive328
on 5/8/16 7:10 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Thank you so much. Glad I posted what I was doing, or I'd most likely keep doing it. I'm going to nutritionist/doc tomorrow and I'll bring it up.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views