Palpitations after surgery?

Murk
on 7/13/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

So I was sleeved 2 days ago and for the most part things have gone well.

Yesterday, I had an episode where I was flushed, sweaty and slightly rashy - called the doc and we suspected the Oxycodone. So I am not taking that anymore.

Now as of this morning I am having palpitations. Approx 12/84 bpm. I experienced this before - but not as many - with pregnancy 15-20 years ago (can't remember which kid) and they went away after delivery.

When I'm up and about I can ignore it but when I try to nap it becomes quite prominent.

I called my surgeon and he said my water intake is good and I should still have plenty of electrolytes from the I.V. and he thought panic attack. He didn't think it was a big deal. I'm not in any state of panic so I'm just wondering if anyone out there ever experienced this and what did they do to fix the situation? 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/13/16 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A panic attack can happen when you're not actively/consciously afraid of something; sometimes it happens when your brain is just plain overwhelmed.

That said, chest pain or heart weirdness is NOT something you should brush off. Start taking notes-- when does it start, for how long, how bad does it hurt, and where? Trust your gut and call back if it keeps bothering you; at worst, you waste 20 minutes of someone's time, and at best you save yourself from something serious.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 7/13/16 2:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 13, 2016 at 9:12 PM Pacific Time, Murk wrote:

So I was sleeved 2 days ago and for the most part things have gone well.

Yesterday, I had an episode where I was flushed, sweaty and slightly rashy - called the doc and we suspected the Oxycodone. So I am not taking that anymore.

Now as of this morning I am having palpitations. Approx 12/84 bpm. I experienced this before - but not as many - with pregnancy 15-20 years ago (can't remember which kid) and they went away after delivery.

When I'm up and about I can ignore it but when I try to nap it becomes quite prominent.

I called my surgeon and he said my water intake is good and I should still have plenty of electrolytes from the I.V. and he thought panic attack. He didn't think it was a big deal. I'm not in any state of panic so I'm just wondering if anyone out there ever experienced this and what did they do to fix the situation? 

in spite of what the surgeon said, dehydration can cause this. I would seriously up my fluids

Lisa F.
on 7/13/16 3:11 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

I get palpitations when I'm dehydrated and/or have low blood sugar.

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

LeapSecond
on 7/13/16 6:06 pm - AR

If you are having 12 beats of palpitations out of 84 beats per min that is a lot and you need to seek a medical / cardiac Doctor.  Some medications effect me that way. My particular rhythm was nothing to be concerned with but when I quit the medication the palpitations went away.  No way to tell really without an EKG.  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

happyteacher
on 7/14/16 4:50 pm

I can have that happen sometimes- it is a form of dumping. Usually for me it is triggered by carbs- especially ice cream for some reason. I was also prone to low sugar right out of surgery. Keep an eye on your blood sugar levels. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Murk
on 7/18/16 7:27 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Just in case anyone searches for answers down the road for experiencing something similar, I just wanted to follow up with my experience and what my doctor said.

He stated since my potassium and magnesium were normal, that the palps were likely due to stress from the surgery or the anesthesia will cause them sometimes.

Given that I had other ill effects from the anesthesia (flushing, overheating) it stands to reason that in my case at least, the palpitations were after effects from the anesthesia. Especially now that they have subsided a week later.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views