Waiting on Insurance Approval...How Long Did It Take For An Answer?

TiredOfBeingFat82
on 11/10/16 6:35 am
VSG on 03/30/17

I can't even go to my 1st real consultation with my surgeon until my insurance gives approval for me to have it done. Then I will have to have an EGD and then schedule surgery.  I wi**** could all be done within 2 weeks. lol

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/16 12:18 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

A few years ago I had BC/BS and they were difficult to work with, in my opinion.  I ended up paying for my psych. eval. out of pocket and my blood tests. I gave up.  Thankfully the company I worked with switched to Aetna and they have been wonderful to this point.  Hoping that all works out for you.  Feeling for you.

TiredOfBeingFat82
on 11/10/16 12:24 pm
VSG on 03/30/17

They've been easy to work with so far but I'm just now trying for approval, so we'll see.. lol  I'm glad that Aetna is working better for you! :)

HW: 246 GW: Healthy & Happy

White Dove
on 11/9/16 5:19 pm - Warren, OH

I had Aetna and it took over a month.  Aetna had a surgery approval board that met once a month to approve or deny surgeries.  Mine was send in after right after they met in July.  It was submitted to the August meeting and approved in August.  Sounds like they are faster now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TiredOfBeingFat82
on 11/10/16 6:35 am
VSG on 03/30/17

oh gosh, I bet that was frustrating!  I don't think BC/BS has an approval board, so hopefully I'll know sooner. lol

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/10/16 3:05 am, edited 11/9/16 7:05 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was about 3 weeks with UHC - there were a few days in the beginning when it wasn't clear that all paperwork had been received. I had a nurse coordinator at UHC who I informed when paperwork was sent (per her prior instructions). She said it didn't show as complete, so I called the surgeons office so they could check on it (they had sent it all, but called UHC to verify).  My nurse coordinator at UHC was the one who informed me of the approval btw.  I called the surgeons office that afternoon, and since they had the approval as well they scheduled surgery in 10 days!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 129

TiredOfBeingFat82
on 11/10/16 6:38 am
VSG on 03/30/17

wow!  I wish I would be able to get surgery that soon after approval but I have to go for an EGD after my initial consult and then they will schedule.  The coordinator at his office said that it will most likely be January/February before surgery could be scheduled.  So if it is sooner, I will be pleasantly surprised. lol

Valerie G.
on 11/10/16 4:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Give them a call on Monday to make sure that the ppwk arrived and they have everything they need.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TiredOfBeingFat82
on 11/10/16 6:39 am
VSG on 03/30/17

I was actually going to call today to make sure they received everything since some people say they have known within 24 hours.  I wonder if that is too soon? lol

Valerie G.
on 11/10/16 8:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It doesn't hurt to ask, but definitely don't skip this.  I waited 30 days for an answer, only to find out that they never received the request.  It took 3 tries, but I called two days after the other two submissions after that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views