Pain at 3 1/2 Weeks?

SpiritedOne1
on 1/15/17 3:24 am

I had VSG about 3 1/2 weeks ago (December 20) and had been feeling great...until last night. I have had a pain in my stomach since Friday night that just won't go away.  While the pain is tolerable,  it's still a good 7 out of 10 on the pain scale.   Not having any pain or complications before,  is this a normal thing that happens while healing? I thought if I'm still having this constant pain on Monday,  I'll call my doctor but I'm wondering if this is a normal healing pain or a sign of something more.  Anyone know? Thanks in advance. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/17 5:21 am
VSG on 10/31/16

i had intermittent pain near my top right incision for quite some time, where they pull out the excess stomach.  In fact I still get twinges every now and then and I am 3 months out.  I never had constant pain.  To be safe, I would definitely contact your doctor.  Hope you feel better soon.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/15/17 5:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Where this is a new pain, you should call your doctor. 

Did you do something to bring it on? Bending, lifting?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Hammer_Down
on 1/15/17 6:42 am
VSG on 10/27/16

I had some new pains around that time. 

I was back to work 3 days after my sleeve, and there is some light manual labour involved (truck driver, i have to open the hood on my tractor, climb up in the cab, crank dolly legs on trailers, etc). My pain felt like a stitch, and it came and lasted for a day or two and didn't return.

From my reading, I learned that the abdominal wall of your diaphragm was cut into for the surgery. As the muscle heals up, it's apparently normal for some feeling to return and some pain. My pain wasn't around an incision site but higher, behind the ribs. Also, it's apparently normal for some pain as the cut nerves of the stomach begin to heal and you're suddenly feeling your stomach again.

You should talk to your surgeon, and hopefully you're experiencing something routine. If not, getting tested for leaks, strictures, or other abnormalities should be a priority.

Freeway philosopher.

SpiritedOne1
on 1/15/17 9:12 am

Thanks everyone.  My pain is right by my ribs on the left side which is a little higher than where they took out the stomach and the incision are.  I did lift something not thinking it was that heavy so that might have been the problem.  I had been feeling so good that I forgot I was still healing. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow but thank you all so much for your replies.  Hopefully I didn't do anything to harm my new sleeve!

82much
on 1/15/17 9:48 am
VSG on 11/28/16

I had the same pain  in the same place above the big incision at about 10 days post op.  It hurt when I layed down  or when I sneezed.  One time when I sneezed, it felt like it ripped and moved up a tiny bit.  I told the surgeon and he shrugged it off and said all was well after feeling for a hernia.  Recently I now have a burning pain when I lay down or sneeze.  It is well below any incisions on my right side bottom of the belly.  I have a PCP appointment in two weeks, I will ask her about it.  Until then maybe I should avoid sneezing :-)

Rubydoo11917
on 1/31/17 12:01 am
VSG on 01/19/17

I am 11 days post-op. Just curious, did they give you nerve block? I have been dealing with pain below the belly button on the left. More of a surface pain, but very intense if I bend at all or on my feet very long.

82much
on 1/31/17 5:22 am
VSG on 11/28/16

They gave me nothing and pretty much dismissed it.  Mine also was/is near the surface.  I saw my PCP last week and she said it would eventually go away, and that it is due to the surgery, even though not near the incisions.  She had a long but very good explanation for the pains I experienced.

Rubydoo11917
on 1/31/17 2:09 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Glad to hear it will go away. None too soon right.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views