lap band to sleeve

adistacke
on 2/7/17 8:33 am
VSG on 05/16/17

Hello-

I am having my band removed on the 17th (after 10 years) and have the sleeve scheduled for May 19th.  Anyone gone through the same process?  I'm doing full liquids for prep before removing the band...on day 2 and it is pretty rough but lost 2.5 pounds yesterday!  I would love to hear any words of wisdom, thoughts on went well or didn't go so well, did you feel the band had you well prepared for the sleeve, etc?  Lastly how was it after the band was removed...did you gain weight before having the sleeve done?

Thanks!  Have a great day!

mmsmom
on 2/7/17 9:44 am - Woburn, MA

I had a band 2007- 2014.  Had it removed Feb 2014 and was sleeved April 2014.  Recovery after band removal was easy - in fact, i don't remember there being any restrictions.  I did okay not gaining after band removal, but had gained before removal when it had been emptied.  The sleeve was a 1000% improvement.  I have had much better success, less trouble with food (no stuck episodes) and in general I LOVE IT. 

VSG on 04/28/2014

adistacke
on 2/7/17 12:10 pm
VSG on 05/16/17

thanks for the info!  Sounds like you are doing great!

Jennifer C.
on 12/17/17 12:53 pm
VSG on 12/20/17

Hi, I am having the band to sleeve revision on Wednesday any advise?

Nura777
on 2/7/17 1:49 pm

I am a recent band to sleeve revision. 

We're at a higher risk for complications due to the revisions 

You may need to use PPIs long term due to acid reflux issues, these meds are not the best for long term use due to serious side effects

I recommend you spend more time with your band out. This procedure is permanent and there's no turning back. 

All the best! 

Sai F.
on 2/7/17 6:28 pm, edited 2/7/17 10:28 am
VSG on 09/02/16

I had the band for many years, and a little over 5 months ago, I had it removed and was sleeved on the same day. It went very well. My post-op was actually better than my post-op after the band. Maybe because I knew upfront of the gas pains, and was well prepared to walk, walk, walk and take my Gas-X strips.

Switching over to the sleeve, diet-wise, went pretty smooth. I was already used to years not being able to eat and drink at the same time, and really chewing my food. I think the hardest diet change, at least for my program, was to eat smaller meals instead of 3 moderate meals a day. I know some here eat 3 meals a day, period but I wanted to give my program the best shot that I can. I find it easier for me since I can't eat too much at one sitting. I like that I can eat without the fear of getting stuck, so it's much easier to reach for healthier food.

Before my revision surgery, they removed all my fluid for 3-4 months. I had enjoyed being at goal weight for a very long time with the band, and despite me wanting to stay there, unfortunately, months of zero restriction did lead to some weight gain. I am someone who absolutely needs a tool.

Good luck! Congratz on your upcoming surgeries.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

adistacke
on 2/8/17 11:35 am
VSG on 05/16/17

wow...you've done amazing!  thanks for the info

Sai F.
on 2/8/17 5:02 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

Thank you. I am excited for you! Congrats to your future revision.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

ddkVSG
on 2/7/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

I'm a band to sleeve revision. I had my band for 10 yrs. No fill for at least 8 yrs.  I found no amount of fill was right so I gave up on the band. Then life happened.  Finally decided I needed a sleeve. Turns out band had slipped. Esophagus was dilated and angulated. Had a hiatal hernia. I had the band removed. I didn't gain weight in between removal and getting sleeved. My surgeon had my work with a bariatrician who gave me phentermine and put me on a low carb diet. A month later I was sleeved. Removal was easy breezy. Didn't even need pain meds. Sleeve was fine too but I did need pain meds for it. Not having food get stuck is life changing. My words of advice are drink water and eat protein post surgery like your life depends on it. Because it does. And walk. Immediately and don't stop. Band eating definitely helped me with sleeve eating. Knowing to chew well and not drinking while eating. 

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

adistacke
on 2/8/17 11:33 am
VSG on 05/16/17

thanks for sharing!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views