Hard lesson! ~ newbies please read ~ Positive comments only please

A.better.me
on 8/11/17 4:40 pm
VSG on 07/05/17

See my previous post to see what I'm currently suffering with!!

After going back to the ER last night for the 2nd time in less than a week, I found out the results for my upper GI test today. I have food stuck in my tummy I now have to suffer until this coming Tuesday when I go back to the hospital for an EDG (they will run a scope down my throat that I'm guessing has something attached to the end to grab the food to pull it out) This is why my liquid intake has been so limited and why any food I eat makes me sick. The nurse is hopeful that after this procedure and the inflammation goes away, that the reflux will too.

NEWBIES -- it doesn't matter what you see people on social media eating or what you ask someone you know that's had VSG done, what they ate at what point!!!! Do what your surgeon suggests!! I ate a piece of thin sliced deli chicken about 9 days early. I was still supposed to be on puréed but had become just sick of it and wanted to chew something. Now....now I have to restart all the phases all over again after the food is removed.

I'm so mad at myself for giving in and doing something off my plan and now I'm paying for it big time. But I'm happy that they have finally figured it out and hopefully I will be on the mend next week.

I have to joke about it so I told a sleeve sister that I'll be at goal before I'm able to even eat regular food in September!

Height: 5'5"

SW: 251 (07/05/17)

CW: 161 (03/22/18)

GW: 160

CC C.
on 8/11/17 5:38 pm

I'm so glad this didn't end up as something worse. No joke, people have died from advancing their diets too quickly. Best of luck on your upcoming procedure and I'm glad you're sharing your difficult lesson with others so they don't do the same!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/11/17 5:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

We see lots of people go off plan and accelerate their schedules because they are just "dying" to eat something. Obviously, it's a horrible idea.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 8/11/17 7:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Pacific Time, A.better.me wrote:

See my previous post to see what I'm currently suffering with!!

After going back to the ER last night for the 2nd time in less than a week, I found out the results for my upper GI test today. I have food stuck in my tummy I now have to suffer until this coming Tuesday when I go back to the hospital for an EDG (they will run a scope down my throat that I'm guessing has something attached to the end to grab the food to pull it out) This is why my liquid intake has been so limited and why any food I eat makes me sick. The nurse is hopeful that after this procedure and the inflammation goes away, that the reflux will too.

NEWBIES -- it doesn't matter what you see people on social media eating or what you ask someone you know that's had VSG done, what they ate at what point!!!! Do what your surgeon suggests!! I ate a piece of thin sliced deli chicken about 9 days early. I was still supposed to be on puréed but had become just sick of it and wanted to chew something. Now....now I have to restart all the phases all over again after the food is removed.

I'm so mad at myself for giving in and doing something off my plan and now I'm paying for it big time. But I'm happy that they have finally figured it out and hopefully I will be on the mend next week.

I have to joke about it so I told a sleeve sister that I'll be at goal before I'm able to even eat regular food in September!

are you sure you have food stuck in your sleeve? That would be known as an obstruction and would be life threatening. I don't think they would be waiting till Tuesday to fix it.

are you sure you don't have a stricture instead? Scar tissue so that food can't pass?

It would still be resolved by using and endoscope to stretch the opening so food would pass.

A.better.me
on 8/11/17 7:38 pm
VSG on 07/05/17

My surgeons nurse said there was food in my tummy. I didn't know what questions to ask. I was just relieved that the cause of my problems was discovered. I'm surprised too that they are waiting that long as sick as I am. If I get sick tomorrow, I think I may call them and tell them I cannot wait and see what they say.

Height: 5'5"

SW: 251 (07/05/17)

CW: 161 (03/22/18)

GW: 160

Mirandia
on 8/12/17 7:16 am
VSG on 03/14/17

Medical people don't always use medical terms with patients. And because this isn't a complete obstruction maybe why they feel they can wait. Dunno. Hope it all works out for you though.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

LiveFreeOrDie69
on 8/11/17 7:54 pm

Prayers. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a very hard thing we are doing.

CALI118
on 8/11/17 9:52 pm
VSG on 07/11/17

thank you for sharing. I hit one month today and it is very hard....I agree, don't be hard on yourself and hope you feel better very soon. You got this!

happyteacher
on 8/12/17 3:29 pm

Oh thank God this wasn't worse. This is how people die. Glad to read you are honoring your stages and I applaud your honesty that hopefully will serve as an authentic warning to other newbies. Take good care of yourself.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Shannon S.
on 8/20/17 4:48 pm, edited 8/20/17 10:28 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Die? . I won't do this, but have you heard of many dying? I have a family and this horrifies me

Most Active