help! need to quiet my stomach for work

eliscaloriecount
on 1/11/19 6:07 am

I had my VSG surgery over 5 years ago and I have been a stay at home mom since. I am struggling with the very loud noise that my stomach makes when digesting food. I just got a new job in a school and I'll be working with students 1:1 in a small quiet room. When I'm in a quiet place I can hear my stomach makes very loud noises. Yesterday I met with the woman that I'll be replacing and my stomach was so loud that she asked if I wanted to cut the meeting short because she thought I was starving.

Has anyone found any type of schedule of food/drink that reduces stomach noises? It's definitely in my stomach as I can feel it gurgling when it's making the very loud sounds.

Thank you for any advice!

TheWombat
on 1/11/19 6:22 am, edited 1/10/19 10:32 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

While my stomach doesn't make noise, I do have days where I constantly feel the need to burp. My dietician recommended something called Colpermin. It's just peppermint oil capsules, so you can probably find it by another name. I do find it very good for calming my stomach, so I suspect it would help you. Peppermint tea might help too.

Another thing that helps calm my stomach is almond milk or cashew milk. Again, I don't know if it would help with the noise, but I suspect it might, and it's an easy thing to try.

Edit: It's Colpermin (no e on the end)

eliscaloriecount
on 1/11/19 6:33 am

thank you. for me it's not an upset stomach, it's just the actual sounds of the food being churned around in my stomach. It's more of a mechanical thing. I'm hoping to find certain foods or an order of eating or spacing of foods and drinks that will making things not so active sounding as they move through.

mmsmom
on 1/11/19 6:28 am - Woburn, MA

My stomach has been very loud lately, lol - not sure why...but I just carry on

VSG on 04/28/2014

Laura in Texas
on 1/11/19 8:48 am

THIS article had a lot of good suggestions. Sugar alcohols, food intolerances, air, and SIBO, can all be culprits.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

eliscaloriecount
on 1/16/19 3:47 pm

so I realized that that day I had been chewing sugar free gum right before I went in. Also, at 5 years out, I'm terrible at following rules about separating food from drinks. So, I stopped with the gum and made sure not to mix food and drink and much quieter stomach! not totally quiet but better. thanks so much for the article!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/13/19 7:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Mine is super loud too. It will be interesting to hear if you find a good solution.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Valerie G.
on 1/14/19 1:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The only remedy I can offer is to not eat or drink at work, and we know that's not possible.

So, that being said, give your tummy a name and tell the kids that he agrees/disagrees with what was just said and make it a fun interaction.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SNCplus2
on 1/16/19 3:05 pm
VSG on 05/07/18

My approach is similar to Valerie's -- my stomach is very loud, and I just tell people it likes to talk.

VSG 5/7/2018

Height: 5ft 7in; HW: 254; SW: 219; original goal: 150; maintenance goal: 135-140; CW: 138

Shannon S.
on 1/20/19 6:52 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

My stomach makes noise right after I eat as well. I haven't been able to get it to not make noise, so I just deal with it, and I don't really care. Even normal stomachs make noises.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views