Menu suggestions for Mom supporting Daughter when visiting

CuriousLady2020
on 4/24/20 9:17 am

I have to say, I've never tried McCormick Au Jus mix, so I will now! I have two great roasts I need to prepare. Thanks!

White Dove
on 4/24/20 12:05 pm - Warren, OH

Everyone I ever served it to was impressed. Many people have asked for my secret. When I tell them they often think they can save money by using a less expensive mix and then are disappointed with the taste. The McCormick Au Jus is about $1.80 and you can buy cheaper ones for about $1. It is well worth the extra 80 cents.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 4/23/20 4:55 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

If you cook something or buy something, be aware that she may not be able to have more than a few bites. You may not mind having gone to all that trouble, but she may feel guilty about it. One possibility is to make something that reheats well, so she can take some home with her.

A few months after my own surgery, I was invited to dinner with some friends. I explained to them that I might only be able to eat a few bites, don't go to any trouble on my account, etc. The friend who was cooking made a lovely, simple dish. She kept the atmosphere relaxed; she simply placed the food out on the table, and didn't encourage me to "try this", or "have a little more of that". She also gave me the leftovers to take with me. I had another 3 or 4 meals out of the leftovers, and each time it was like being with my friends again!

CuriousLady2020
on 4/24/20 9:15 am

TheWombat, that's a great reminder, to not encourage having another serving. I used to be guilty of that when we had large family/friends bbq's, but not so much anymore since our parties are less and the kids are grown. Now I do exactly what your friend did, I place the food out and they can take what they can. I'm glad you mentioned it though, as I wouldn't want to fall back to that once she's had surgery, or even before.

Try to have a great weekend!

White Dove
on 4/24/20 12:09 pm - Warren, OH

It is hard for a while when you can only eat a few bites. I felt bad for the person who prepared it. I also can almost never eat meat that has been reheated in the microwave. If I take something home, I often eat it cold. Tell you daughter to be careful about heating food in the microwave because it can make it too dry and tough for us to handle.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CuriousLady2020
on 4/28/20 9:59 am

White Dove, I myself can rarely eat meat that is reheated in the microwave unless it's done at a low temp and is actually reheated and not cooked again, so I am understanding how something zapped in there could be too dry for her to eat, it makes sense.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views