Deb K’s Posts

Deb K
on 3/25/19 1:16 pm, edited 8/25/19 1:22 pm
Topic: RE: Glad to be back.

Hi, my name is Debbie. I had RNY 14 yrs ago, in all I have regained 20 pounds. They told me that could happen,I did manage to keep it off for sometime. I let life get in the way and stopped taking care of me.

My family doesn't think it is such a big deal. I worry that it will not stop and be back where I started.

Why is it so easy to loose but to maintain is where the hard work comes in. Thanks for listening, l am looking forward to reading this board.

Since I wrote the above, I have started to work on me again, not just taking care of others. 20 lbs regain may not sound like much, and yes, I know they tell us that can happen. To me I was worried it would snowball. I never want to loose control of my health. So my answer is Paleo and it seems to be working for me. The RNY life is not like anything I know of. I have tried many of the suggestions my nutritionist suggested, but just didn't work for me. I felt like I was in no mans land...and scared.

Truly this is a journey not a marathon. God bless.

Deb K
on 10/31/14 4:55 am
Topic: RE: Struggling with gaining weight.

I guess my nut learned at a conference that weighing two times a day would keep us on track,but that just stresses me even more. While I have been trying to follow the new changes,we were moving & dealing with some health problems with my husband. So I am on a regular routine of walking and doing shakes with spinach. I have not been back on the scales for a while.....will get to it on Monday. I go see my nut in about a week. Thanks for the help.

Deb K
on 10/29/14 2:46 am

I have had no health issues - so I don't know what she was thinking. So, yes I am going back to what Works for me. I still hate getting on the scales, the nut wants us to weigh in AM. & PM. Go figure, so now I am going to do it my way. Take care.

Deb K
on 10/29/14 2:42 am

Thank you, I have been here before and I know I can get support and help. Feeling good about taking Back control of my health! I agree low carb seems the way to go.....Thank you again and have a great week.

Deb K
on 10/28/14 9:33 am
Topic: RE: MONDAY GRATEFUL POST

Thanks for posting this and I am so glad that you shared about stress eating.  God bless.

Deb K
on 10/28/14 9:28 am

After 9 yrs,of keeping any gain off,now I have gained 17 lbs. My nut is not concerned about the gain,but it freaks me out! Today I am going back to shakes & jello. This time I am adding veggies to my shake. My iron is getting better,it was a 4,then a 9 and now it is at 34. I am pushing spinach in my shakes. I am still walking. My nut changed the way we were to eat, high er protein and high fiber. So messed me up. So want to first my sweet spot to be able to maintain. Thanks for listening.

Deb K
on 5/26/14 10:25 pm, edited 5/26/14 10:25 pm
Topic: RE: Very low Iron.....

Just to bring you up to speed. The surgeon put me on high doses of iron 2 times a day. Trying to eat lots of iron foods. Blood test in about 2 months, he may raise the pills to 3 a day. They tell me it may take 6 to 12 months to get the iron stores built up again. I keep pushing myself, hopefully it will come back up sooner than later. Thanks,

Deb K
on 5/4/14 5:12 am

Yes, very tired, fuzzy brained, and some shortness of breath when I was walking on treadmill. Which never happens. Very little better, sleeping every chance I get. This is not me at all. I have been fighting tiredness since Nov. but kept pushing myself. Also my finger nails were peeling, they thought it was just a bad winter taking it's toil.So I started taking high doses of biotin and it has helped my nails,but again it was covering up the low blood. Now they think may have an ulcer on top of low blood. Sure hope my dr does something soon,or send me to someone who will. No I had no idea it would be my iron, always great labs. Blood work is the only way I found out. I know doc will want to scope. Thanks for asking.

Deb K
on 5/3/14 9:48 am

Surprise to me, when I got my labs back this week the iron was not good. I could not figure out why my get up and go had got up and went!  My number is a 4 and I guess it is suppose to be much higher. Dr. put me on 2 Ferrous Gluconate

a day and Omeprazole magnesium 1 time a day to protect my pouch. They tell me this could take 3 to 6 months to get back my iron stores.  Has anyone been there and could give me encouragement? Thanks

Deb K
on 4/28/14 5:19 am
Topic: RE: MONDAY GRATEFUL POST

Hi, Vivian. So liked your post today. I too am thankful everyday for the gift of LIFE! It is good to be reminded not to say the "but" just Thank you. So grateful for my family & how they support me with RNY, 9 yrs. strong. No

Major weight gain, just some bounce back, but scales are going the other way! Great knowing that God is faithful all the time,helping me to live a full life. Have a blessed day.

Deb K
on 4/14/14 8:35 pm
Topic: RE: MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE FOR TODAY

What a fitting quote, in order for us to succeed with our surgery, we must realize we must exchange something in our lives, for leading a healthier life style. Thank you for this quote, I will be using it a lot. 

Deb K
on 4/4/14 3:05 am
Topic: RE: chicken problems

Hi, I am 9 yrs out and I can't eat chicken either. My nut suggested pounding the meat first before cooking. Chicken salad goes down easy but makes my pouch hurt. So I will not eat chicken again. Hope this helps.

Deb K
on 3/31/14 4:35 am
Topic: RE: New weight maintenance recommended.

White Dove, thank you for joining in on this new information. I have to agree that weighing myself more often - is a great help. I took the stand, out of sight,out of mind. Who ever reads this Please keep the scales close by. I do 

need to keep a check on things. This is MY life and I am a "designer model 2005" LOL, I am different now and old habits can not come back into my life. Again Thank you White Dove for sharing what you are doing and that is

helping you and therefore others will be helped too! 

Deb K
on 3/28/14 11:13 pm

Hi Ruby, I am sorry to hear your hubby was in the hospital, it is difficult to keep on your eating plan with stress, and non healthy food around for you to eat. I have been there too. We don't cook much with the two of us,so it is eating out

a lot - Yes it would be cool to track out weight and encourage each other, we can do this! I don't know how to track my weight with you but if you do let me know. Anything you post to me here goes to my e-mail address. Take care and I do mean take care of yourself first, then taking care of hubby will go easier! God bless.

Deb K
on 3/28/14 4:44 am

Thank you - life is grand and a lot of work, but worth it! God bless.

Deb K
on 3/28/14 4:42 am, edited 3/28/14 4:42 am

LOL! There is no way I am getting on the scales more than once a day, even that is hard some days. This is all new life style for me, so it will take time to change. God bless!

Deb K
on 3/28/14 4:41 am

Hi and thank you. I do believe your carb count should be under 30, the fats I don't remember, protein should be around 60. But do call your nut to find out what they follow. The shakes I make with water instead of milk, if you can tolerate

it. I would not be on a hurry to stop the shakes, they will help with the days you can't seem to get in enough protein. I still drink shakes at least 2 a day. When you reach your goal try to go lower, for the bounce back factor. If I had realized that I was going to gain 20 lbs, I would have continued to loose at least 10 more lbs. Take care and enjoy this New way of living.

Deb K
on 3/27/14 7:41 am

Hi everyone, I spoke to my nutritionist and she told me about the new way to maintain. 

1. Keeping food journal on-line so that you can see the visual(Graphing) of what you are consuming in your diet.

2. Recording your weight twice a day and graphing it to see the changes in weight.

3. Not high protein diet but a diet higher in protein and fiber intake.

4. Diet is 80% and exercise is only 20% - this was amazing to hear.

5.Exercise 250 - 299 minutes a week anything higher than this will lead to weight gain because our bodies will require more food for fuel. That is why exercise is 20% and diet is 80% with weight loss.

This is all new to me and so I have been adding more fiber (dry oatmeal) to my shakes and it has made a difference. I also go to the gym 5 days a week and have lost weight. Keeping the weight off takes time and much care. I am 9 yrs. and trying to get rid of the bounce back of 20 lbs. 

I would do this all over again...love my new life!

Deb K
on 10/22/13 2:14 am
Topic: RE: Decarbing with 5DPT?

ok, this is how I make my pumpkin shakes....can pumpkin, about 1/2 C.  water, or milk, less carbs using water, measure the liquid that usually use. Add protein powder, I use Banana Nut, Add 2 splenda, and pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice.  Blend well...enjoy.  I have used cinnamon and ground cloves when I didn't have pie spice. I hope you enjoy it. When I want a pudding consistence I use less liquid. Yum!

Deb K
on 10/21/13 11:09 am
Topic: RE: Decarbing with 5DPT?
  • I too just started the Atkins and it is working well for me. It looks like that will be my new normal...I don't eat alot at one time and stay full for sometime. I have really enjoyed my pumpkin shakes. Good luck - now if I could get the exercise going again would be great. LOL.
Deb K
on 1/26/13 8:04 pm
Topic: RE: Rebound weight and the mind game.....

Thank you for posting this, I am 8 yrs out from RNY. I had been at 129 lbs until last yr and now the game is on...I fight the mind game everyday and I know where I picked up the weight. Not exercising everyday, not so much eating more or the wrong things. My body expects to exercise and the scale tells it. At least you are ahead of the mind games by keeping good track of your weight. God bless...

Deb K
on 12/18/12 9:15 am
Topic: RE: Good Morning. Your favorite protein coffees and shakes

My new favorite protein shake is as follows One blender

1 scoop vanilla Protein powder

Ice and 1 C. very cold water     

1 small banana and 1 T. instant sugar 

free pudding and cinnamon and nutmeg

to taste, ( may add sweet n low if you like 

real sweet)

Blend until smooth....eggnog flavored!                                                                    

Deb K
on 11/29/12 8:18 pm
Topic: RE: First time using Vanilla Protein.

Hum...Thank you all for your help with the vanilla protein. They are really great ideas.

McMadam...you are TOUGH to be able to drink this stuff straight...you have my respect!  How do you get past the smell?

Anyway keeping life fun as I learn how to maintain on this journey.

Again Thank you very much.
Have a blessed Christmas!

Deb K
on 11/29/12 6:42 am

Thanks I will try this one.

Deb K
on 11/29/12 6:23 am

Hi, I have always used Chocolate, mint or fruity protein.  Any ideas what to do with the Vanilla, I did try the unflavored but it wasn't good for me. 

Thanks for your help.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views