The WLS Weigh, Raleigh NC WLS Support Group

Recent Posts

sutherngrl94
on 12/1/11 10:54 pm - Raleigh, NC
Topic: RE: New to this group

Thanks!  I'm thinking of the VSG.  I was concerned about malabsorption with the others and I think this would provide me with results that I can be happy with.  I'm starting to doubt my decision to get the surgery though.  For the past few years I haven't really been good to my body through diet and exercise because I've been so frustrated with my PCOS and my seeming inability to lose weight.  My roommate (who used to be heavy herself) and I have had long talks about this and she keeps reminding me that I need to be good to myself and patient as well.  She went from a size 16 to a size 2 so I feel like she sorta knows where I'm coming from (minus the PCOS) and she has other medical issues herself.  I'm very fortunate to have a friend and support person such as her.

All that being said, we've decided to basically cook our food and eat fruits, veggies and lean meats and get into a workout routine and see what happens in the next few months.  I'm not even trying to schedule surgery until after March so there's plenty of time.

More than you asked for, I know.  Sorry about that.

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 10:29 pm - Knightdale, NC
Topic: RE: New to this group
Good to have you in the group!  I'm in the same position w/ tests & evaluations, but no actual surgery date.  I've been dealing w/ PCOS for years and surgery for me has become a last resort so I'm with you as far as anxiety towards the end result.  

What procedure are you thinking of?
sutherngrl94
on 11/28/11 12:37 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: New to this group
Hey all!

I have my inital consultation with Dr. Sudan and the nutritionist today at 2:00 pm.  It's funny, but I'm nervous about all this because I wonder what I'll look like once I lose all the weight.  Excited and nervous all at the same time.  I don't even have a surgery date yet!  Also, since I have PCOS I'm a little scared that I'll either gain the weight back or not lose it in the first place.  This is a lot to go through just to gain the weight back or not lose it initially. 

Anyway, just thought I'd say hey!! 
cav
on 11/11/11 8:28 am - NC
Topic: RE: Meeting others???
 Glad to hear that u are getting back to old self!  Sounds like the gym agrees withu :-). I will look at the sites you mentioned... Had not heard of them.  Funny, I hardly ever cooked unless on the weekend, since surgery I enjoy trying different recipes...I can't eat them yet but my husband is loving it!  I have been experimenting with different extracts to enhance the flavor in shakes... Pretty cool.  I have also used kitchen tools that I hadn't used in a long time.  Found the hand held blender particularly useful (after I didn't connect my blender right and we were all wearing chocolate shake).   
Im finding the liquids relatively easy but the protein a bit harder.  I have started using light chocolate and vanilla soy milk and pumping it up with whey protein...that helps a lot!  Started purée this afternoon...so far so good...did you use baby food or make your own?   I have a new appreciation for what my patients go through!   I am not, however, complaining...it is an exciting journey and I can already walk a bit further....though I'm not sure my dogs think that's such a good thing...lol
Tomorrow I will get a lot of walking in ...I promised my husband I would go to car show with and he likes to get there early...he has been so great through all this that I rally felt it was important to go with him.   We both ride Harley's and I believe there will b some there.  
Going back to work tuesday , a bit nervous but generally I'm pretty tough so claiming success in it!
Anyway I think I have rambled on enough...I hope you have an outstanding weekend and if anything really important in mtg, would u let me know?  Enjoy life and your freshly updated persona 

kjmcvay
on 11/11/11 6:51 am - NC
 Good to hear from you again.  I am feeling much better, thanks for asking.  I am getting back to my old self in some ways.  It is nice to see.  How about you? Is that the pouch friendly site? I think I made a chicken crockpot recipe from there.  I use Bariatric Foodie, Pouch Friendly and maybe the sparks one I will have to check I have them bookmarked.  Do you cook a lot? I am still not cooking like I should, trying to work on that.  The gym is going alright, I only did 30 minutes on the eliptical and 15 minutes on the bike on lower level.  I didn't feel too bad.  How are you doing with the proteins and liquids? Do you have any trouble some days getting it all in? Chat with you later, I hope that you have a great weekend.  
cav
on 11/10/11 9:00 am - NC
 Thank u for sharing so much...it is easier understanding.   You are feeling good now?  U sound great and optimistic....I will see u on the 29th...just received a note from sandi that the meeting on 29th requires registration.   Have u looked at spark people's recipes?  A lot of them fit right into our diet needs...not difficult and numerous choices!  How is the gym going?  Well, I hope u have a great Friday and even better w/e 

kjmcvay
on 11/10/11 2:30 am - NC
Hey...Hope you are having a good day today! I have to say that those emotional and weepy days come and go still.  I just try not to focus on them as much.  I really believe that in the beginning and still now that I was in a way mourning food and all the changesI was going through.  Walking is great!! It also helped me get out of the house and out of my head! Too much thinking for me is not good.  A stricture really is not anything that we do it is a closing of the new stomach.  What happens is when you try to move out of the liquid stage you feel unbelievably full and can't seem to get anything down.  I didn't have a lot of pain as discomfort.  Once it was fixed then I could transition.  Don't be so concerned about getting in your liquids and proteins just do the best you can.  It will get better.  It is awesome that you have no nausea, I sure did!! The stage you are in is awesome because you will not be hungry or really want food which is an amazing feeling.  Don't worry it will come back gradually.  My tastes have changed too! Food that I always wanted I don't and the opposite.  I ate so much peanut butter in the beginning, I could not get enough of it!! Now I don't really want it much.  Are you doing protein shakes? I will be at both support groups so I will see you.  Sorry you can't come Saturday.  I want to find a nutritionist in this area, I really feel like that is a weakness I have: planning healthy meals for hubby and me! Well give me a call if you would like, I have your number.  Have a great weekend and look forward to chatting. 
kjmcvay
on 11/10/11 2:14 am - NC
Wow that is great that you have one at work.  How are you doing since the surgery?
cav
on 11/9/11 12:16 pm - NC
 Hello...Dr. Moran did my surgery too!  He did a great job and he gave me thumbs up this week...I went to one meeting at the office and enjoyed it very much.  I had hoped to go this Saturday, but cannot make it.  I work in Louisburg and the timing can be difficult at times.  I do plan on attending the end of the month meeting.
Today was a more difficult day,  found myself emotional and weepy...no specific reason?  It has passed and I am back to baseline.  Did you get the stricture due to the soft foods?  Was it  painful?  
So far so good for my journey, harder to take in full liquids/protien than I thought it would be but I made it to 63 gms. today...yeah!  
I am so thankful that so far I have not had the nausea and vomiting...that is a real blessing!  Walked further today, working on increasing each day...
The wt. loss feels good...and right now it is not too hard...I even cooked supper for my hubby (a great low carb, high protien meatloaf recipe) that smelled heavenly and didn't get hungry or tempted.  It is weird...I am more interested in cooking now than I was before...go figure :-)   Hopefully we will get together at the support meeting at Dr. Moran's office...a great group of people!
My phone number is 919-696-4362 and my name is Cheryl...I hope you have a great week and look forward to talking to you soon  

Dmac1
on 11/9/11 6:27 am - Raleigh , NC
Surgery date 09/30/2011, Dr Moran was my surgeon.  I  went to support groups alot at first but not as ofen now, i go every two weeks at my job, we started a support group there because od so many wls patients in my company