VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » The Sweet Potato- F...

The Sweet Potato- Friend or Foe ?????

sublimate
on 1/31/11 2:44 am, edited 1/31/11 3:01 am - San Jose, CA
Keep in mind that the above information is ranked based on the premise/context that carbohydrates are a good thing and that we should eat lots of them. Most of us know that is totally false for many of us that are carb sensitive.

If you read the criteria above it states that position clearly, and they are ranking their veggies based on having lots of complex carbs, NOT nutrients. 1 cup of sweet baked potato contains 41 carbs (I try to eat less than that in a day!) and 1 cup of broccoli has 2 grams carbs and lots and lots of lovely vitamins.

Just comparing vitamin C, which is very important, broccoli contains twice as much as the potatoes. Broccoli also contains half the sodium as sweet potatoes and contains B vitamins (very important) while sweet potatoes have none. So you really can't compare the two.

But unless you believe that lots of carbs are good for us, sweet potatoes are not a good carb bargain, and there's a reason why Dr. C doesn't have them on his list, and why I wouldn't recommend them. But of course you'll have to do what you think is best.  Hope that helps...

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

loverofcats
on 1/31/11 3:04 am

I don't think that sweet potatoes should be a daily addition to our diet, especially if we are very carb sensitive, but if used in small amounts, there is a place for them. I also limit my carbs to 40 or under, so sweet potatoes wouldn't fit during the losing phase, but for maintenance, they might fit for some people.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sublimate
on 1/31/11 3:18 am - San Jose, CA
Yep, not a daily think but not the worst thing either.. I can agree to that.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

abejita
on 1/31/11 3:46 am - dallas, TX
I think sweet potatos are WONDERFUL for you...and they taste great too! Give them a try!

mary

I'm 5'4"      SW 220 / CW 130 / GW 115
jimbovsg
on 1/31/11 4:23 am
MODERATION is KEY with any questionable food choices.  The problem with saying a certain food is good/healthy  is that some people take it.....and run with it.   "hey!, sweet potatoes are good for you..... I'm gonna eat 2 a day......every day!"  Keep that in mind. 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 4:47 am
VSG on 06/08/09 with
 I don't eat them often because they are a trigger food for me -- but they make a wonderful thickener for veggie soup.  
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 4:50 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
They give me the "gimmes" just like a white potato do.

BUT!!  KNow how I really like em?  Mash, buttery, salt N peppery!!  Or mash, cream cheesey, salt N peppery OR mash, sour creamy, salt n Peppery!  

OR curried!  Mmmm!  Or tarragoned! Mmmm! 

But definitely I prefer them savory than sweet. 
sassyscorpio
on 1/31/11 5:10 am
I think sweet potatoes are yummy and  they are great if I  consider them to be  more of an occasional treat, rather than a main vegetable to be eaten often (like broccoli)
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 1/31/11 10:34 pm
they aren't triggers for me at all. and for some reason I love them best baked with just salt. excellent.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great