VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Just over two years...

Just over two years out...seeking positive reinforcement

moparmemaw
on 4/5/11 9:36 am - IA
Well I don't have that problem...YET. I fear that I will experience that some day.   I'm only 13 months out and 5 pounds from goal..  Just wanted to pipe in and tell you to keep coming on OH and join in on our conversations.  We're all here to help. 
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

diane S.
on 4/5/11 1:15 pm
welcome to  the maintenance group. this is a good place to get answers. sorry you are having some issues, but look at how much you have lost and i bet you feel so much better. I think it is still possible to stablize and lose a little more weight but you are right its harder at two years. you didn't say what you are eating but my surgeon told me to step up my slow weight loss, increase protein from 70 g to 80 g. i did that and it did speed things up. no clue why.

even now in maintenance i get 70 g protein a day or more. surgeon says thats for life as he thinks most people don't get enough protein. so yeah, it feels like being on a diet and guess what, it is. this whole weight loss phase of eating 600 to 800 calories a day is in fact a weight loss diet. So you might want to try a protein drink in the morning to get a big hit of it in fast which may make you feel less hungry. and start food journaling again if you haven't already. You have come so far and you can do the rest.  GL
Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Mandyplus2 ..
on 4/6/11 1:06 am - GA
I'm in same boat as McMadame. I bodybuild and I've gained roughly 5 lbs, but my clothes fit the same and I look amazing. The scale messes with peoples' heads, especially when they exercise a lot.

So, a couple of things. If you are not losing fat, you are eating too many calories. First, you need to count calories. Calculate your maintenance calories (google katch-mcardle formula), then eat at that level for 4 weeks or so, to make sure you got an accurate number. Chances are that your maintenance is lower than the calculators will tell you (after dieting for so long). I'd suggest you continue to eat at maintenance for a couple of months to "reset" your metabolism. Then cut your calories by 20% to lose fat. (Yes, you need to journal!!)

Also, what you eat is important to body composition, helps you feel satiated, and can help keep you from feeling like you are on a diet.

1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS
.4 - .5 grams of fat per pound of body weight
The rest of your calories from protein, fat, or carbs - totally up to you.

So, calculate your calorie level.
Then calculate your macros to fit into your calories. Protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs are 4 calories per gram.

All of that said, you have done a great job with your weight loss and living a healthy, active lifestyle. You should be proud of yourself!

Oh also, RNYers don't have malabsorption of calories after a couple of years which is why they have such a high rate of regain. They have to follow the same rules we sleevers do in the long run. You made the right choice!

5'8" - 40 years old

Jaxxy
on 4/6/11 5:29 am
This one of the best posts I've seen in a long time.  Going to copy all this down.  Thanks for sharing that!