VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Migraines - worse a...

Migraines - worse after losing weight

Mini.me
on 7/25/11 3:04 am
I have been experiencing more frequent (and stubborn) migraines since having VSG.  To be honest, the timeline is closer to 6 months after surgery when I was getting down to a normal BMI.

I've been tracking symptoms and attacks.  However, I cannot find a trigger.  The only thing I can think of that's changed in the past 6 years of having them is the surgery and weightloss.

Does anyone else have experience with an increase in frequency?  What about being less responsive to the meds?

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

Jp2lose
on 7/25/11 4:08 am - Omaha, NE
I get migraines. Lately I've had fewer of them than before. I've tried tracking too and sometimes its right before TOM, but not always. Sometimes its when I'm out shopping and in and out of the heat, but not always. It's really hard to figure it out when there isn't a consistent pattern.

One thing I try to do now is drink more when I feel one coming on. Dehydration can bring on migraines. The only med that has ever given me relief is Excedrin. I hate to take it because I don't drink caffeine any more, but I will if I'm desparate. It still works the same for me.

Mini.me
on 7/25/11 4:22 am
I am very glad to hear that yours are less frequent.  This is driving me nuts - no pattern at all.

I'm on a generic of immetrex and it's taking sometimes 2-3 days to get them under control.  I've had days where I've had to be in the office & had to wear sunglasses just to make it through.  My employees call me the "Hollywood Girl". 

I've also used Exedrin Migraine in the past when I feel one coming on.  I also double up on caffeine.  If I'm lucky and feel it early enough, I can usually by-pass it with those tricks.  Sometimes, it just comes out of nowhere. 

michellemj
on 7/25/11 5:09 am
One of the reasons why I had VSG was to hopefully reduce my damn migraines...suffice to say, that hasn't happened yet. I'm of the chronic daily migraine type, so it's hard to imagine them much worse, but they are. The intensity is stronger and I'm having more with aura. Bleck.

Two things that help: birth control and not just any birth control, one that keeps my hormone level relatively constant: Seasonique. I use Lo-Seasonique (it has less estrogen) as my OB/GYN was concerned about too much estrogen with migraine w. aura, but neurologist says that isn't necessary, so I'll probably switch back to the regular on my next appointment.

and the second: Botox. Yep. It's a freaking miracle cure. I was way skeptical, but my insurance covered it so I figured it was worth a try. and dang it, totally migraine free for about 10 weeks.

As an aside, I avoid caffeine and all OTC meds unless I'm desperate. You can get rebound headache which is sometimes worse than the initial migraine. I will sometimes combo my Relpax with an Advil or Aleve...but not Excedrin Migraine.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

laurak712
on 7/25/11 6:11 am - New Braunfels, TX
Hell to the yes!!  Mine started as I approached a normal BMI and I now have a RX for Immitrex.  Sometimes if I let my calories fall to low it triggers one, so I have to be careful to eat enough.  I didn't even realize they were migraines until I talked to my doc about them.  My usual Excedrin Migraine was not touching them but the Immitrex works like a charm.  Another thing that I notice is that TOM brings them on...so they may be hormonal as well. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

Mini.me
on 7/25/11 6:22 am
Well, if it helps, I can sympathize with your pain.

Immetrex used to knock them out pretty quickly (1 or 2 doses max), but lately, it's taking longer.

If you by chance have coverage for alternative medicine, I've found accupuncture to work.  I thought it was a "crock", but was hurting so bad a friend convinced me to try it.  Unfortunately, I can't get insurance coverage, but that one time it was a life saver!

laurak712
on 7/25/11 6:32 am - New Braunfels, TX
That's good to know about the acupuncture!  My headaches are clusters...like I'll have one start then take a dose of medicine but it comes back later in the day so I take more, then the next day it's be there again so another dose and then it'll be gone.  If I don't take anything though, they can last 3 or 4 days off and on.  Then I may not have one for a month...so go figure...

Laura

Height 5' 7

michellemj
on 7/25/11 7:34 am
They also make different versions of Imitrex including a nasal spray and an injectable (a tiny subcutaneous needle) so maybe a different, faster route of administration might work better for you.

Or if Imitrex is no longer working, you could try switching to a different triptan (others include: Maxalt, Amerge, Zomig, Relpax, Axert, Frova). I had to play around with them until I found Relpax and it seems to be the best for me.

and yes, acupuncture was a life saver for me too. It took me about 8 weekly treatments before I saw a difference (ugh. the joy o' the chronic daily migraine), but it did work.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

vsarossy
on 7/26/11 4:01 pm - San Jose, CA
I've battled migraines, still do to some extent, in the past. The migraines of my past would take me totally down - nausea and absolutely unable to function. Doctors tried all sorts of meds, spinal tap, MRI, the works. Oddly for me, the thing that helped was a Chiropractor. I started going to one about a year before my VSG, and still go routinely to keep things aligned.

Gaining weight can mess up your spinal alignment. Just liked having a baby or any strenuous physical activity. Over the years, we've corrected some curvature in my tail end of the spine. However, my neck region, and damage done there from past trauma is the cause of my migraines.

When my headaches flare up, and Excedrin Migraine and/or a cup of coffee doesn't work, I place ice around the back of my neck and base of my head where your spine and skull are connected. This typically helps greatly with my pain. Luckily, I don't seem to do that too often (it's so cold!).

There are simply too many reasons behind headaches from not drinking enough, to stress to vision problems triggering pains. Unfortunately, you may need to play with different variables to find which one reduces the frequences or intensity of your headaches. Good luck!!

*Weight lost in 11 months