VSG Maintenance Group

Reality Check !!

VickyO
on 8/15/11 3:57 am - Riverside, CA
Okay guys...here's what's going on with me....

I needed a reality check so I finally got on the scale yesterday.  It's been a long, long time and I knew there would be a weight gain.  I've gained 21 lbs from my lowest weight of 175. My goal weight has always been 180.   I've been going through lots of body image stuff this year.  So I was pretty happy with some weight gain.  I've just celebrated a year of sobriety so you can imagine all the emotional ups & downs that does with that.  My fiance has been dealing with depression and that's hard to watch.  I'm letting my daughter finally grow up and not fixing all her problems.  Started smoking a few months ago, so if you think that helps curb your appetite, I'm hear to tell you it does not.  So physically I've got the tummy buldge over jeans and back buldge around my bra, buying bigger sizes (underwear, bras, pants, dresses). Scary...yes.....giving up...NO WAY!  My life has changed for the better because I had surgery.  It's been 2 years.   I asked myself what has changed....and the answer is pretty much "everything".  I hardly exercise and I used to do this "daily", absolutely loved bike riding and would even go on long rides up to 30 miles.  I used to belong to a gym, had a trainer, walked (other than a quickie walk with the dogs).  I was always moving my body.  I eat out 98% of the time.  Been away from OH for awhile. Haven't logged my food or weighed in "forever". That's crazy!  I'm now a night eater.....obsessed with dry cereal and granola before bedtime.  I do pretty good at work, eat a good and healthly breakfast/lunch, but after 4:30pm, all hell breaks loose.  I'm hungry almost immediatly after I eat.  I can't eat as much, so the sleeve still works, but I just save the leftovers and eat them later. So, today is a new day, a day I need to start getting back to basics, just for today, it's honesty and awareness.  I will stay close to the board.  My goal today is "no cereal/granola tonight. I will email Dr. Osano today to let her know where I'm at and stop hiding out from her.  It's time to get honest with myself and you.  I don't want to get too crazy like the old diet days.  I just want to take this one day at a time and get back to basics.  I read on OH the other day where someone said "watch the underwear", that's where you can tell the weight gain first....so, so true!  I'm not depressed about my reality check.....I feel empowered about getting honest!
Love you guys!

mis42
on 8/15/11 4:36 am
Vicky,
    I can relate to your post very well. I have also slipped back into some of my old habits such as eating carbs, sugar, not exercising & simply eating too much of the wrong foods. As i posted earlier i have gained about 10-12lbs back. My clothes are also starting to get tight. Today, i decide to begin making my way back to the right path. I am a graduate student & have let the school stress take over my life.
VickyO
on 8/15/11 6:21 am - Riverside, CA
Today's all we got!  Let's do this thing.....stay close to OH!  Love ya!!

Birdie55
on 8/15/11 5:16 am
Congrats for taking charge.  

From what I've read, the way to get back on program is to eat protein first, then veggies next.  Just like when we started out.  And track your food.  Start logging everything before you eat it, so you know exactly where you are for your daily allotment.  Hugs to you both.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

VickyO
on 8/15/11 6:23 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Birdie,
This is exactly what I'm doing "today".  Thanks for taking the time to help :)

Dee08
on 8/15/11 6:42 am
VSG on 09/01/08 with
Hey Vicky...I am with you girl!   I had posted on another thread that I had to move my tickler off of goal and back up...was so hard to do, but I had to get honest with myself.  I am working on getting it back together with you.  You are not alone on this by any means!  I am using MyFitnessPal also.  Just love it so far.  It is so easy to use and so far has had all items that I needed already listed.  I will keep watching for your progress post!!

Blessings....Dee
                  5'1"  Age 62   Goal weight between 128 - 135  
VickyO
on 8/15/11 6:54 am - Riverside, CA

Hi Dee!
Wow, we must be on the same page!  I just changed my ticker too!   
The hard part for me is that I discovered it was actually 23 lbs that I have gained....I was looking at my Kaiser summaries to find my lowest weight, but OH showed me it was actually 173 and actually I didn't feel that good at that weight.  Way too saggy baggy....yikes!
So, I'm doing "for today only" what I need to do to move the ticker back to my goal of 180.
Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.  Love you!  Vicky

Southernsleever
on 8/15/11 7:49 am
 I am so with you as far as the smoking goes. It makes me stall out like crazy. My goal for this week is to stop smoking. You can I say WTG on a year of sobriety! You freaking rock! 

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

VickyO
on 8/15/11 9:07 am - Riverside, CA
You freakin' rock too sista!!

mini_me_ now
on 8/15/11 8:43 am

I think once we face the reality it really gives the motivation to help get back on track,.. for me that reality hit me 4 weeks ago and getting back on track has been the best thing i have done for me in awhile..

I no longer crave the carbs that were my undoing, i now crave potein.. i am back into doing my 2.5 mile walk everyday.. (today is raining and so i will have to use the treadmil sooo not the same)

but just to let you know that your definatly not in this alone and ill be right there with you as you work your  way back to where you are happy with...

hugs:)