VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Watch me turn into ...

Watch me turn into a jerk

debk21
on 4/27/12 2:41 am - Mansfield, TX
Ruggie!  That was awesome!  Thanks for making me smile.  I try to encourage on the main board but just flat cannot respond to some posts.  What I see there is amazing, appalling, and sometimes like a train wreck and I can't look away!  I'm only on a couple times a week now cuz the "snark" really wants to come out...Thanks for venting it here.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

RosieSweetie21
on 4/28/12 5:14 am
I loved your post!  I am only about 5 mos out from surgery but I can relate, both because of my experiences with other sleeve patients and online, as well as in my career. I am a high school teacher and I try not to get frustrated with my students, particularly the lazy ones who are failing,  because they are immature kids and they don't know any better- and I think,one day, they will "get it" . (Although I have thought, "are you jerking me around or are you really that stupid?" at times. Of course I'd never say it or I'd end up watching me on a U-tube while waiting in the unemployment line!) Anyway, I can relate to your frustration. 

I just wanted to thank you (and all of the other vets) who have been sharing your knowledge. I know its frustrating, but you are also helping many people, including someone like me who thinks they "get it", but are still at the beginning of this journey. Please keep posting!

Also, Ruggie, I think you should post this on the main board with the title "please don't be offended" or "Let me get to the point".  I honestly think it should be pinned as a wake-up call to everyone who is in denial that this is not a major life change or that this is the "easy way out".
ruggie
on 4/28/12 6:13 am - Sacramento, CA
Wellll............ I really appreciate your intentions there, but let's think about this in terms of the example you set above with your kids.  The kids you teach are going through a process.... some are dumb and some are sharp, but they're all at the beginning of this process, schooling, and when they finish they'll be improved with more skills and more successes - again, some more than others. 

Say you compile a list like I have, and share it with your students - I think a few would find it funny, a few would be like "Oh, i don't want to be that person" but half of them would be ticked at you, right?

I'm assuming the same would happen sharing this with newbies.  We'll start more wars on, and honestly, I don't know I have it in me to again battle and take the position that "pizza really isn't a weight-loss food" or "please stop shovling carbs in your mouth, at least until you make goal". 

The problem, I think, here is the word process.  Some of us, many of us, have to live the process - we have to shovel carbs in our mouth, figure out we're still hungry and losing weight slower, and learn the hard way - this is much of the human spirit, right?  People who have unrealistic expectations and/or crappy surgeons that literally say "you can eat the same things just in smaller portions" will just find me to be elistist and judgemental.

But hell, being called elistist and judgemental never stopped be anyway.

I wonder what some of the other vets think about your proposal?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

RosieSweetie21
on 4/28/12 8:13 am
hi Ruggie, well I am really a New Yorker (so I like sarcasm) and I hate it when I don't get the truth upfront. If I find out I was lied to or not given information, that's when I would be ticked. I think your post  is very funny (as well as informative and direct). I know that there are definitely surgeons who tell patients that they can eat everything, just lesser amounts, because I have met them. I didn't believe them, so I went around to other doctors, who were more honest, then I found this site because I was looking for information.

Anyway, you have been on this site a lot longer than I have so I think you would know better than me. I understand your hesitation and I don't want you to be aggravated.  (btw, I hope that less than 50% would be ticked. I think that some people may be ticked initially, but would later realize it was actually good advice). 
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/28/12 9:42 pm
I think it's be fun to sit back and watch the fireworks... but that's easy for me to say as a back-seat driver on this one!

You elitist* and judgemental** *****!

*not true
**probably true... we as humans are all naturally judgemental whether we like to admit it or not... some of us vocalize it more than others
***you have one but aren't one

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L