VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Monday, December 16...

Monday, December 16, 2019

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/16/19 5:30 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Good morning. I think today is Diane's window day? Good luck! I hope you don't have to get it all back together before Christmas. The year we did it was two weeks before Christmas and we were hosting that year. We had chosen vinyl on the outside and wood on the inside so the inside had to be stained/painted before the window treatments went up. I hired BIL to do that. I was absolutely out of my mind with the stress of getting it back together again in two weeks. In retrospect I think DH may have been making an early dementia related decision when he scheduled it.

I feel a bit better today because I slept all night. I kept wanting to check on DH through the video feed but stopped myself. He was not in bed yet when I went to bed just after 9 and he was already out of his room by 7 when I got up this morning (though he was laying back down at 7:30). I am putting a storage card in the camera tomorrow so I can access recordings to see prior times rather than just live. Hopefully that will help in assessing how much he is sleeping. I gave him some Ensure yesterday afternoon and he drank it down quickly and seemed happy after. It is a high protein, high calorie version (350 calories per bottle). Seems weird to be purchasing those.

I am going to try to do some self-care today and go to yoga. And if my mood holds, I am planning on going to WW on Wednesday morning.

Christmas shopping is mostly done (online of course), except for a few stocking things. I'm still vacillating over whether I am going to do any more Christmas decorating this year. I had brought the boxes up but haven't been inclined to touch them. The basics are done: two trees, two wreaths, candles in the windows and stockings on the fireplace.

Have a moving Monday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Peps
on 12/16/19 10:19 am, edited 12/16/19 3:09 am

Another week has started. It is the week before winter break. I had a formal observation earlier this morning. Cracks me up that after more than a quarter century in the classroom, I am being evaluated by someone who was still in Jr. High when I was a beginning teacher and who has only spent a fraction of the time teaching as I have. At least she seems to still understand the practical aspects of managing a classroom. Many other admins seem to forget what it takes. Diane O. used to write about spending time in the classroom like it was a gift. We need more of that attitude in Educational Administration.

On Friday I received an email from a former student. Did I mention that already??? I can?t remember. It was deeply touching. I have not spoken with the child since the last day of third grade in 2010. The child moved away after third grade and is now a senior in HS in Salt Lake City. This is the end of her email:

??I believe if it weren't for the role model you were for me I would've kept going down a rabbit hole of failure, anxiety, and depression. I was put in a position where I could've chosen to become the stereotype society says I?m supposed to be. I grew up in a broken home with parents who didn't graduate, and a history of mental illness and drug addiction among my grandparents and other relatives, but I'm here today, 5 months from graduation, with an eagerness to be the change in my family's history. I hope you're continuing to be the positive role model some of your students so desperately need, and keeping an eye out for those who seem withdrawn, disinterested, or lazy like I was. A little extra push will go a long way.?

This is the stuff that keeps me teaching.

Food choice and consumption has been "meh". My brother sent me a text asking for gift ideas for me. I responded, "Freedom from my addictive personality." I am feeling a bit like this is my lot, so just go with it. Luckily, I am seeing the shrink today. A mental reset is in order!

Merry Monday, Minstrels!

DiamondD
on 12/16/19 4:01 pm, edited 12/16/19 8:01 am
VSG on 06/13/12

I too am having a formal observation tomorrow :) The Dean observing me is a contemporary tho. We have 3 year cycles, year 1 and 2 peer coaches observe, but they are not able to give corrective action etc. Year 3 is the biggie. Personally, I like having people in my classes, I'm proud of what we do, and what my students accomplish. Our new principal also has a positive view of being in the classroom, she said it's where the magic happens.

What a wonderful email. You can be sure there are other students out there who also had a life changing experience in your classroom.

DiamondD
on 12/16/19 4:08 pm, edited 12/16/19 8:08 am
VSG on 06/13/12

Liz I would say your home looks very festive! Two trees! That's more ambition than I have. I decided not to do everything I usually do this year, and I am satisfied with this choice. What goes up has to come down, and I'm happy undecorating will be fairly easy this year.

DiamondD
on 12/16/19 4:42 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Marco ...

CC C.
on 12/16/19 4:51 pm

Polo!

DiamondD
on 12/16/19 7:43 pm
VSG on 06/13/12