Back On Track Together

Exercise

cakebaby59
on 1/9/09 7:43 pm - Jamestown , ND

I am having a heck of a time getting this exercise thing going for myself. It's the same problem I had before cept this time I have a ruptured disk in my back and I am a little worried about causing it to act up cause when it does...it ain't good...lol. But I know  exercise makes you feel sooo good! Anybody got any ideas?  Thanks...Linda

" When you are down and out, lift up your head and shout, BUY ME A PRESENT!!!"
minischnauz
on 1/9/09 8:52 pm
 I'm not sure because I've never had it, but my brother in-law has back problems so I know kind of how painful they can be.  Sorry you hurt like that.  My only thought might be to try to get to a pool and do some water aerobics.  The water might alleviate some of the compression pain you must have in your back.  Probably someone will have more insight than me, but wanted to try to help.  Thinking of you and wishing you a pain-free day.
Lois K.
on 1/9/09 10:00 pm, edited 1/9/09 10:01 pm - Lebanon, IN

Linda:

I feel your pain!!!!!  On June 16th, I ruptured a disc in my back and it took 3 weeks before they discovered what was causing my pain.  I did epidural pain management and PT and exercises for the back.  Finally, I had surgery on August 18th and thought that was going to be the end all.  However, it hasn't been.  Still in lots of pain and have had another epidural which hasn't helped and have another one scheduled for Friday.    I did not exercise AT ALL from 6/16 (I did that morning before the disc rupture) till just recently.  My surgeon said to walk as much as possible.  Not at high speed at first.  He told me walking was the best thing possible.  He also gave me a book of back exercises and abdominal exercises.  (My rupture was in the lower back)    He said to strengthen the abdominal muscles and that would help my back tremendously.   

I know your case is different.  If I were you, I would be checking with my PCP.   I had a MRI that showed my rupture would never have healed on its own.  That is why surgery.  But there are some ruptures that improve with SPECIFIC exercise usually found during PT.  

I am sad because I was a runner ... something I found after losing my 100+ lbs after WLS.   The surgeon said I would NEVER be able to run again as it would just aggravate my other bulging discs and the surgery site.  I can lightly jog, but find I can't do that every day.  I know I did this to myself and haven't gotten back into lifting weights --- probably never will be able to lift over 15 - 20 lbs ever again without pain. 

See your PCP is my advice.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Back pain is horrible.

Whatever else you have on your mind, Wherever else you think you're going,
Stop for a moment and look where you are:  
You Have Arrived

Cathy W.
on 1/9/09 11:33 pm
Hi Linda,

I SO UNDERSTAND your concerns as I share them.  In April of last year, I woke up with a severe herniation in my C6 and C7 in my neck.  Even through my two c-sections and wls, the pain was the worst.  It was constant and chronic.  I've struggled with it since then.  I was in bed from the pain when it happened for days.  I've had every treatment you can think of including the epidural steroid injections under anesthesia in the hospital. 

I still struggle with the pain yet not nearly as much as before.  From the inactivity of many months, I am very protective of the progress I've made as I don't want to go back or make it worse again.  I understand your protective feeling when it comes to exercise.  Plus, from the inactivity out of necessity, I'm not in the great shape as far as exercise that I was.

I've decided to start small and build.  My physical therapist and doctor told me that protecting your progress is normal and a good thing.  That is hard for me because before this happened I'd walked the 3-day 60 mile Breast Cancer Walk and did all sorts of activity just fine.  I'm going to walk without any major inclines.  My hubby gave me a Wii Fit for Christmas so I've done that before I recently got sick.  It has a one inch or so balanace board and they have a part that is dancing with steps.  It is fun so I'm going to do that.  I've tried to find a dvd that is activity but not intensive. 

I saw your post and couldn't jump in fast enough because I'm right where you are.  I think it is taking small steps consistently to build up gradually without compromising our concerns.

Thanks.....if you find something else that you like, let me know.

Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

happylapbander
on 1/9/09 11:46 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Take it slow and easy   Check with you dr to be sure what/how much is OK for you so you don't have to be scared (and being concerned is certainly not a cop out - it is very healthy to be concerned) Be gentle with yourself.  Find a walking buddy because if you promise them you will walk with them you will, but if you promise you - maybe you will and maybe you won't.  Would using a cane or walker do anything to protect your back?
cakebaby59
on 1/10/09 4:58 am - Jamestown , ND
Thank y'all so much for ur reply's.  I'm glad I asked about this cause now I don't feel like such a gold-brick...LOL!  I am going to call the my PCP.  I think the PT thing is a good idea...so I'm going to start there.  I used to dance and work out with light weights, I loved it...but every time I try to do something these days I get these burning spasms up my back and if I over do boy do I pay for it through my hips and down my legs!!! I hurt my back trying to untangle an apron string from around the washer agitator!!!  Anyway...Thanks again...Linda
" When you are down and out, lift up your head and shout, BUY ME A PRESENT!!!"