Filing a grievance with Kaiser

yellomodelchick06
on 5/19/11 6:43 am - Moreno Valley, CA

Hi All,
Basically I do not want to do the orientation or the required Options classes. I seen the bariatric nurse today who says that i qualify for surgery. So is it now safe to do the grievance? Anybodys adviceis appreciated.
TIA
Nicole
MacMadame
on 5/19/11 6:52 am - Northern, CA
I think you should send a PM to Diana Cox and larra. They've got experience with this.

I think you have to do the orientation though. But not the Options classes or lose 10% of your EW.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

yellomodelchick06
on 5/19/11 6:55 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Thanks So Much!
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 7:01 am
Which Kaiser do you go to?  I had my surgery through Fremont and you didn't have to do the classes... that was 2 yrs ago.. so I don't know if it's changed.  You can get your referral to Bariatrics transferred.. I was originally supposed to go to SFO, but went to the orientation, and didnt want to wait so long. I called Fremont, and the switched me to their office.  I had my surgery 5 months later.

Best of luck to you!
sfnativewm
on 5/19/11 11:08 am
I did not want the classes etc at all!!!!!  I hated the whole thing!!!  BUT
I am glad now that I did as when things came up or questions arrived, I remembered, looked at notes and felt relief!!   Also reading some posts of people not having a class etc, I feel sorry for their panic after surgery!!  Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Kimberly M.
on 5/20/11 3:42 am
I did not want to do all the classes either but am so glad I did. I learned so much and it really prepared me for surgery. I know the wait seems like forever but believe me when I tell you it is Worth it. Being educated about the whole process was well worth the wait. You will also meet friends that are going through the same stuff as you. This is just my opinion I wish you luck on your journey either way.
sboenigk
on 5/20/11 3:49 am - Palmdale, CA
Hi, I had surgery in '08 and went through the Options classes. I remember the frustration of having to attend 6 months of classes, but now looking back, I am so happy I did. I feel very fortunate that Kaiser educated me on the process. It is, after all, a life-long commitment. I attend a weekly support group and I can't tell you how many times a new person will come and say, "I'm having surgery next week..what can I eat?, What changes do I need to make?" It blows me away. By the way, just throwing this in, it's a proven fact that patients who keep attending support group after surgery are the most successful at keeping off the weight. Best wishes!
Deb B.
on 5/20/11 4:27 am - East Bay Area, CA
I too was Kaiser Fremont and there were no Option classes.
I got a referral from my dr. and then went to an orientation. 
Within 4 mos of orientation I had surgery. 
The orientation was only a 2 hr or less informational meeting on what their procedures are and you are given a binder to have so you can refer to it.   
It was very informative regarding what they do and do not do, what they expect from patients and insight into what successful patients experiences are.  I needed the info to prepare for surgery.  Surgery is just an event, major event but an event......it's what happens afterward that will determines success.  That binder was extremely helpful.
I think you can get surgery without the Options classes but I would not skip orientation.  
Good Luck!
Debbie

yellomodelchick06
on 5/20/11 7:38 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to file my grievance with kaiser and i will let you know how it goes. Thanks So Much
acbbrown
on 5/20/11 11:47 am - Granada Hills, CA
I filed a grievance to avoid the options classes in Los Angeles and was denied - they said I had to do them. I had the option of filing an appeal, but I had enough on my plate emotionally that I opted not to fight the system. The denial letter listed the following reasons : no signs of sudden weight gain, no serious co-morbidities making it medically necessary to expedite the process, no documentation of weight related effects (I had listed quite a few in my grievance, but I was new to the insurance and had no medical history through them). I dont remember the other reasons.

That being said, I was given a gift. I took it seriously, and started making some changes, and lost a lot more than the 10% they wanted (i'm down 80 lbs in about 10 months). It was a long frustrating process, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am so much more prepared for post-op life, much more educated, and confident in what i'm doing.

Good luck with whichever path you chose!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active