Kaiser Option to Consult with Surgeon first?

yellomodelchick06
on 6/24/11 2:24 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Was anyone given the option to consult with a surgeon before taking the Options classes?? If so what happened? What doc did you pick?
Thanks
Nicole S.
on 6/24/11 2:43 am - Vallejo, CA
I wasnt given that option.  After the options classes and nutrition 101 I was given my psych and surgeon consult dates and times.  I wasnt given a choice in MD's, but I do like the one they gave me. (I am doing this through So SF Kaiser)
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

Dave Chambers
on 6/24/11 5:48 am - Mira Loma, CA
I have Kaiser in southern CA. I'm a 5 year post op now. I had to initially qualify for surgery with my Kaiser PCP and then he had to forward his approval to a Kaiser board for approval for my surgery.  I was told I was approved and given a limited choice of starting dates for educational classes. I had undergone a medical wt loss program some 4 years prior to my surgery, and had provided a letter from the program's manager to Kaiser, so I didn't have a specific wt loss program that required participation as part of the process. I got a hospital voucher for the surgery, and lastly I got a referral to the surgeon.  I was referred to a surgical practice outside of Kaiser.  I had my initial consult 2-3 weeks later.  I began medical screening tests.  I had another consult, and I needed another opinion from the cardiologist. I saw the cardio doc a 2nd time, and was scheduled for surgery in about 3 weeks.  I had no choice of doctors or hosptial facility.  But my surgeon is well respected in baraitric surgery circles and has done LAP procedure RNY for almost 10 years now.  If I would have done research and checked experience, type of surgeon, complication rates, mortality rates, etc.--I would have chosen the surgeon that did my surgery--the one that Kaiser selected.  He does many RNY surgeries in southern CA, and his site is www.suhbariatric.com  . DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

acbbrown
on 6/24/11 5:58 am - Granada Hills, CA
I wasn't "given" that option, however, one girl in my Option's class threw a big enough fit and filed grievances in order to be able to do so, and it worked for her. You will have to cut through some red tape, and challenge Kaiser on their process, but it is possible.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MrsP
on 6/29/11 5:41 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I am just over a year post op (kaiser) I had to first do the options classes and they would not refer you until they and a few other requirements had been completed, my husband just went to orientation to get the whole process started for himself and was told that now you have the option to go right to the surgeons referral but they also said that they did not advise that because the surgeon would just send them back to attend classes.
ThinVoyage
on 7/3/11 5:03 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Most Active